Which Aston Fuel Filler Cap Size is correct?

I would like to install an Aston fuel filler cap to my Triumph TR2, like the original race cars had.

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/events/2019-auctions/nec-classic-motor-show-sale-2019/nec-classic-motor-show-sale-saturday-9th-sunday-10th-november-2019/cars/pkv-374-the-ex-works-1955-le-mans-24-hours-triumph-tr2

I ordered a MOCAL aston cap with roller catch and 2,75" thread, however, it appears too small (Outside diameter is even slightly smaller than the original cap).

Is the MOCAL Aston fuel filler cap with roller catch in 3,5", made from polished aluminium the most accurate reproduction I could get?

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/e112be6e/files/uploaded/cap2.pdf

MOCAL "ASTR35"

I can only assume that the Le Mans cars had the largest fillers practical and available at the time and I have no idea which of the current reproductions would be closest. However they do seem quite large from the photos. Here's another, not a Triumph, but from the same the 1955 race:

1953926955_fuelcap.jpg.800895468798e09a1d0b5f8865a68386.jpg

Then you would have to make a bigger hole in the tonneau panel and bush this down to the 2 inch filler neck.

Tom

PKV374, the Le Mans TR2 of the late Jan Pearce, has a racing type filler, as can be seen in the photo on the Register's home page - the car is going for auction at the NEC Show next month.

I cannot state the size of the filler, but Paul Hogan might know.

Ian Cornish

Thank you very much for your help.

I took a closer look at the the PKV374 car, before. However, I don't take it as a good example for close reproduction. Too many details are not correct.

The video screenshot is very helpfull, Tom. This looks like the 3,5" filler cap, made from polished aluminium, with a roller catch:

https://www.burtonpower.com/aston-fuel-filler-cap-3-5-with-roller-catch-mocastr35.html

However, I do not have to make a bigger hole. The flange is also available for a 2" hose:

https://www.burtonpower.com/flange-funnel-3-5-cap-2-hose-mocflaf35.html

In combination with a locking insert (https://www.burtonpower.com/locking-insert-kit-for-flaf-flanges-moclik1.html ), that seems to be a pretty nice solution.

However, I will have to drill the six holes for the flange...

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 4:33 PM, TomMull said:

I can only assume that the Le Mans cars had the largest fillers practical and available at the time and I have no idea which of the current reproductions would be closest. However they do seem quite large from the photos. Here's another, not a Triumph, but from the same the 1955 race:

1953926955_fuelcap.jpg.800895468798e09a1d0b5f8865a68386.jpg

Then you would have to make a bigger hole in the tonneau panel and bush this down to the 2 inch filler neck.

Tom

Once again, thank you very much for this helpfull hint.

I now ordered an MOCAL Aston fuel filler cap with roller catch in 3,5", made from polished aluminium.

Here are two pictures of the first fitting (The flange is still a little bit too big for the hole. I will drill it down by 2mm):

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

On 10/8/2019 at 4:33 PM, tr2_applegreen said:

I took a closer look at the the PKV374 car, before. However, I don't take it as a good example for close reproduction. Too many details are not correct

I am interested in this statement, what do you see as being incorrect?

Iain

Maybe these are all minor things, but I realized the following aspects: roll over bar, rear mirror wind guard, brooklands, black wing beadings, letter type on number plates,

I dont know about the egine compartment. That looks pretty unfamiliar to me, but I have to admit that I have never seen any historic photograph of a Works TR2 engine bay.

At least, the owner did not give much about details: E.g. the battery wears lot of manufacturer stickers. I like to see the batterie cleaned black, with a LUCAS decal - but that is just my personal taste.

Re the Aston filler caps members might be interested to know that they were also fitted to Churchill tanks which i believe were made by Vauxhall at their Bedfordshire plant.  

hoges. 

pkv.JPG

pkv 2.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A really nice car. Well done.