Gearbox and overdrive overhaul.

I have owned my TR6 for 45 years. The gearbox is getting a bit noisy and the drips of gearbox oil on the garage floor are getting bigger!

Time, I think, for an overhaul. The clutch also slips occasionally on “full chat” so a good time to replace that as well.

I would be very interested to hear from others about which is the best company to entrust the work to.  Quality of work is more important than price. Also I want my unit (gearbox and overdrive) overhauled and not an exchange unit. 

Please post your views. 

jrb

Hello John and welcome to both the TR Register and the Forum,

I will PM you with the contact details of a chap generally regarded as the best one man gearbox, overdrive and diff overhauler. based in the Worcester area. I don't like putting his details on the open forum.

Don't know where you are on the Country, but if you don't want to use the chap above, another reputable company is Overdrive Repair Services in Sheffield, Tele 0114 248 2632.

Regards

Dave McDonald

If it were mine, the first thing I would do would be to drive the car for many hundreds of miles. A full day-long cruise would be a good start.

This (hot fluids) would allow the shrunken oil seals (engine + gearbox) to possibly expand to their specified size, thus sealing the oil leaks.

When the rear engine seal leaks, it is possible for it to throw oil onto the flywheel/clutch disc surfaces- when this occurs the clutch will slip on full chat, particularly in the higher gears.

If this doesn't sound like it is the issue, then ignore this free advice.

But, it would be much cheaper, & more fun, than what you have been contemplating- and you've still got your fallback position.

Edited by Sapphire72

Got mine down by Mike papworth in Coventry.  Great service at a very reasonable price. He uses ORS for some of the work on the overdrives. 

Tim

John,

welcome to this forum.

while the box is overhauled, the consensus here is to make a modification to the lay gear shaft bearings, a known weak point in our GB’s. ORS can do that for relatively small money.

I do not have that modification. Why? Because I was not aware of it!

Good luck,

Waldi

27 minutes ago, Waldi said:

John,

welcome to this forum.

while the box is overhauled, the consensus here is to make a modification to the lay gear shaft bearings, a known weak point in our GB’s. ORS can do that for relatively small money.

I do not have that modification. Why? Because I was not aware of it!

Good luck,

Waldi

Hi John,

I was in a similar position 2 years ago! After a bad experience with Moss quality of gearbox parts I found that the Jag boys and MG boys go to ORS as the thread above. So I went there and had the recommended mods to my original gearbox, clutch bearing area and over drive including O/D in second gear as I have a J type gear box and the 3 needle roller bearings as per the Stag lay gear. I have had no problems in 5K miles and the gearbox is very silent in operation. Lastly he does not use junk bearings from China.

Bruce.

One thing to be aware of.. some companies don't use new shafts in the gearbox. Instead  they fit sleeves to the bearing surfaces..

Worth asking the rebuilder the question.

tim