Young'uns driving my TR6

My youngest son (Matt (28)) and future daughter in-law (Issy(28)) stayed with us this weekend - yesterday Matt took me for a nice long drive in the 3A; it was nice to get the old girl out and feel the wind in my hair and for him to drive the 3A again - both my sons have been insured in the TRs since the were 23.

Today, Matt took Issy the TR6 out for a nice drive in the sunshine, her first outing in it - the young'uns just look right (cool) driving TRs:

31C7B47F-BE3D-4177-8489-898101C0C861.jpg

4F29B1F3-B979-4D90-93EB-859693328997.jpg

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Andrew
Nice to know it will get looked after in later life

Paul

Edited by Paul Hill

Great your son is interested too Andrew.

I drove an nice MG-TD yesterday which is driven maybe once or twice a year.

It had no sparks and no fuel when I attempted to start.

The fuel pump (“tickerdetick type”) was stuck and the points and plugs needed a light clean. and the choke tube was stuck on both carbs.

Some polite knocking on the pump made it work again, and WD-40 plus some wiggling solved the choke issue.

I was surprised it ran well after some minutes.

These cars should be driven regularly.

I really enjoyed the ride, those TD’s are nice cars.

Best regards,

Waldi

1 hour ago, foster461 said:

Thats great Andrew, these cars need to be driven regularly and you get to have some fun with the kids. Hope you are doing well.

Stan

My recovery is going well thanks Stan - luckily both my sons and their partners enjoy the TRs which is good as the boys will get one each when I'm either not driving anymore or I'm pushing up daisies.

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Great your son is interested too Andrew.

I drove an nice MG-TD yesterday which is driven maybe once or twice a year.

It had no sparks and no fuel when I attempted to start.

The fuel pump (“tickerdetick type”) was stuck and the points and plugs needed a light clean. and the choke tube was stuck on both carbs.

Some polite knocking on the pump made it work again, and WD-40 plus some wiggling solved the choke issue.

I was surprised it ran well after some minutes.

These cars should be driven regularly.

I really enjoyed the ride, those TD’s are nice cars.

Best regards,

Waldi

Not really a MG fan Waldi, however I do like the pre-war MGs, but any classic car (or bike) not used regularly is likely to spit the dummy so I'm lucky the boys like driving mine. 

Cheers both, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
1 hour ago, Fireman049 said:

Here are my two Grandchildren in my 3A taken many years ago. They loved the 'old car'!!

My Grandson is also called Matt!!

Tom.

15.4.07 - Copy.jpg

Great photo Tom - yep, start them young and keep them interested!

Here's my two boys - David in my first TR6 (aged 2 - he now 31) and Matt in my TR4A (aged 3- now 28):

Cheers, Andrew

1989 (aged 2) - David.jpg

Matthew (aged 3) in TR4A.jpg

My two grandkids love Yellow Peril, that’s the nicknameE472D8CA-4661-435F-B965-06DDBD1F0972.jpeg.780e47bbd6e5f6b553b78c187dd6d1b4.jpegE102E149-59DD-47BD-A94B-71037C2E3EF5.jpeg.0156b5b9bbf030c451aca6328d78c55d.jpeg

Excellent - glad the TRs are getting a run out and you are lucky that the 'kids' like them!

Before I sold my TR2 recently, all my kids went out in it. They all loved it! My youngest (24) hadn't been in the '2 before and his face was a picture!

Rog

It’s nice to se the following generations getting involved although my lads interest cost me a bit as once they started driving the TR3. I felt obliged to fit seats with head restraints, roll over bar and 4 point harnesses. :unsure:

This is my granddaughter helping me build  a  late TR5 engine. (which went into a concours winner) Under supervision Levi fitted the pistons ,conrods etc and enjoyed the experience.

Hopefully will be driving (my keeper) Jasmine TR5 some day soon. Both my daughters have driven the TR5 and it is there for them to enjoy.

Love the pictures guys.

Andrew we have something in common apart from TR,s and it took me a long time to get over it but you will come out the other side.

Regards HarryTR5 Nutter

DSC01638.JPG

Neither of my kids (25 and 22) are anywhere close to producing grandchildren yet, so this is Charlie, aged 6 when the photo was taken. Charlie has been with me every step of the way on my restoration and now enjoys trips in the passenger footwell or sitting on the diff bridge.

This is a great thread by the way

20180906_174354.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love seeing younger people driving classics but unfortunately its mostly oldies due to young-uns having kids, other financial priorities etc.    I also find the young-uns who are classic owners a bit more into recreating the period than the oil under the finger nail types who obsess over the correct tyre types!!! 

So for me, I'd love a push on getting more youngies in the TR register but I think they will bring a bit of a different culture that some oldie's may not like.

Rich

Here is My Daughter in 2009 with my much missed TR4.  I will have to find some of the photos of her helping me with its restoration and of course some more modern photos with my 3a

Amy TR4.jpg

My Grandson Bailey can't get enough of the TRs. He's been coming to the races since he was about 9 or 10 and helping with race preparation, etc since he was about 12. He's nearly 18 now, has his own jobs on the car in the paddock, takes it to Scrutineering (his face was a picture the first time I told him to drive it to the Scrutineering Bay), acts as pit wall crew and executes rapid pit stop driver changes, knows as many of the other Competitors as I do now and the other drivers want to know where he is on the odd occasions that he can't attend with me.

Basically, he's well integrated into the TR family. I led a Lincs TR Sunday social run and organised lunch last weekend and was asked by several members how he's getting on. Can't wait to get him behind the TR5 road car wheel when he's over 18. He's currently helping me with the TR5 full restoration.

Dave McD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...