Rear cockpit rim fixings

As part of the restoration strip down I've recently removed the Surrey top backlight which has been on the TR5 ever since I bought it 22 years ago. 5 projecting studs fixed into the backlight and fixed with nuts under the rear cockpit rim/back deck edge + 2 screws at the 2 front corners.

I'm intending to install a convertible hood after the rebuild which requires the back Retainer bar to be screwed down into captive nuts in this cockpit rim/rear deck. Parts catalogues from the usual suspects show a Rivnut solution here. My 1968 USA TR6 has weld on nuts in these positions. There is no evidence that I can see that the TR5 has had weld on nuts which have been ground off to leave open holes for the Surrey backlight studs.

My query is, could this Surrey have been on the car straight from the factory when, knowing that they would need to be removed, they would have just not fitted the weld on nuts or Rivnuts on the production line? 

Similarly, for a convertible hood, should there be a line of holes around the cockpit rim/rear deck, behind the line of nuts/Rivnuts, for the installation of pop rivets with press studs to fix a tonneau/hood bag to? There is no evidence of there having been a previous line of holes that might have been welded up at some time. Again this points to the Surrey backlight having been fitted from day 1 I think.

I just want to make sure that, after bodyshell prep and before paint I've got all the necessary fixings/holes in place.

Any observations welcome.

Dave McD

Peter,

Doesn't the soft top hood retainer bar, item 4 on attached link bolt on to rear deck using screws, item 84/85, into Rivnuts, item 86?

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/weather-equipment/hoods-hood-frames-fittings/hood-hood-frame-tr5-6-1967-76.html

Do the press studs, items 8,9,10 & 11, for the tonneau/hood bag fit into the retainer bar rather than the deck itself?

Dave McD

Im with Dave on this point. l had to drill out the rivnuts to allow for the studs on the surrey to pass through.  will need replacing when i go back to hood.

Roy