tr3a overdrive gearbox

Hello me again.  does any one want to swap my tr4a A type overdrive gearbox for a tr3a overdrive g/box with the latter bendix starter casting. you will all laugh at me i'm sure but i had to ask, you never know your luck.

The 4 box has synchro on 1st gear,  is a bit longer, & is designed to enclose the later starter motor which projects further into the bell housing.

Bob.

Thanks for the posts, i am sure that a latter g/box would be an improvement, i would just prefer the car to be in it's original spec, i am not obsessed with originality as somewhere in the cars life the original g/box went A.W.O.L so it will never be a complete original car.

If not obsessed with originality, then stick with the TR4A overdrive box.  You won't accidentally crunch first gear, which, as Pete Cox pointed out to me in TS2, is expensive to replace!

In my TR2, I used to push the gear lever towards 2nd gear before engaging first - this avoided the crunch.  Ditto for reverse.

Ian Cornish

16 hours ago, ianc said:

In my TR2, I used to push the gear lever towards 2nd gear before engaging first - this avoided the crunch.  Ditto for reverse.

Ian Cornish

Good tips there Ian, being doing that for years 

Iain

Edited by iain