Wiper issue on TR4

No wonder I was struggling to feed the rack in. It would appear that the tube has come detached from the wheel box. Woe, woe and thrice woe! Looks like it could be tricky. I assume the access plate under the dash will enable me to relocate and secure it. The wiper spindle turns freely so I will leave that alone. Unless I am instructed otherwise. Apologies for appearing a bit dim but the exploded diagram does not make this readily apparent.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_af7b.thumb.jpg.47c5e8a99fce3cad5bdb4af6498f99ce.jpg

Ah in that case your going to have to remove the glove box then the access panel and undo the rear plate on the wheel box enough to slip the tube back in then tighten up and then slide the rack in.

Stuart.

As a matter of clarification, should this tube have a slight bend? Also, there is no flange on the wheel box end. I assume this is correct as the nut would have to go on the tube and they are not sold as a pair as far as I can tell looking at parts books. Strangely there is no illustration of this tube anywhere except for one showing the nut and ferrule end!

4 minutes ago, stuart said:

Ah in that case your going to have to remove the glove box then the access panel and undo the rear plate on the wheel box enough to slip the tube back in then tighten up and then slide the rack in.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. Hopefully that will not throw up any more issues

Andy

1 minute ago, Ocheye said:

As a matter of clarification, should this tube have a slight bend? Also, there is no flange on the wheel box end. I assume this is correct as the nut would have to go on the tube and they are not sold as a pair as far as I can tell looking at parts books. Strangely there is no illustration of this tube anywhere except for one showing the nut and ferrule end!

There should be a slight flange on the wheel box end to locate into the back plate of the wheel box and yes there is a very slight bend on the tube originally.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

There should be a slight flange on the wheel box end to locate into the back plate of the wheel box and yes there is a very slight bend on the tube originally.

Stuart.

I've created the bend and will have to create a bit of a flange too. Thanks

Andy

1 hour ago, Ocheye said:

I've created the bend and will have to create a bit of a flange too. Thanks

Andy

If you know anyone with a brake flaring tool then the better ones go up to the larger sizes of pipe to cope, I make my own tubes this way for wipers and for body drain tubes as well.

Stuart.

47 minutes ago, stuart said:

If you know anyone with a brake flaring tool then the better ones go up to the larger sizes of pipe to cope, I make my own tubes this way for wipers and for body drain tubes as well.

Stuart.

I planning to borrow a tool. Onwards and upwards!

I ended up buying a new tube, with a new nut, cut to size and flared both ends from S-V-C and it arrived the following day. Needs to be bent carefully but hopefully will resolve the problem

Andy

2 hours ago, Ocheye said:

I ended up buying a new tube, with a new nut, cut to size and flared both ends from S-V-C and it arrived the following day. Needs to be bent carefully but hopefully will resolve the problem

Andy

Filling the tube with fine sand will stop it kinking when bending it.

Stuart.

29 minutes ago, stillp said:

Wouldn't putting the rack in it have the same effect Stuart?

Pete

For a small bend it probably would, above was a general tip for pipe bending.

Stuart.

With a great deal of help from John Morrison (many thanks), I now have a working pair of wipers with no knocking noises. John had flanged the original tube and with a bit of experimentation we got the bends right and it works a treat. I did buy a new straight tube made to length with a new nut but we decided that as the original was made correctly we would re-use it. If anyone has a similar issue, I have a spare tube!

Andy