TR4A factory recods

I have purchased a TR4A which has the year of manufacture as 1968 on the V5c first registered in the UK in 1997. I now have the heritage cetificate which indicates it was built in October 1996 and exported to the US as a left hand drive. However the chassis number is CTC 73165   there is no L after the number, the enigine number is CT73363-E. Has any one come across this descepency in chassis numbers before.

1 hour ago, Phil Read said:

I have purchased a TR4A which has the year of manufacture as 1968 on the V5c first registered in the UK in 1997. I now have the heritage cetificate which indicates it was built in October 1996 and exported to the US as a left hand drive. However the chassis number is CTC 73165   there is no L after the number, the enigine number is CT73363-E. Has any one come across this descepency in chassis numbers before.

They were into TR5 production in 1968 Phil! 

Hi I understand that at some time there has been a mistake with the year of manufacture and V5c, but why no L at the end of the com number when the heritage cert clearly states it was exported to the USA as a left hand drive?

Its the chassis number on the V5c and on the heritage certificate (CTC 73165) which states it was exported as a left hand drive. It also lists the body number as 72571CT.

Edited by Phil Read

Phil - I suggest you refer this to Jon Marshall, TR4/4A Registrar - contact details in TR Action (I don't think that Jon is a great follower of the Forum).

Ian Cornish

You clearly mean built in October 1966 Phil, and this ties in well with my car, Comm no CTC 73369 O and Engine CT73558 E, both around 200 later than yours with my build date given on Heritage cert as 17/10/66. However, my body number of 73272 CT is 700 later, maybe some numbers weren't used for some reason.

Tim

A later registration date can appear on a V5c if the vehicle went missing for a while and was restored (and therefore re-registered) - doesn’t always mean anything underhand, just a consequence of a colourful life.

...... Andy 

• 3 weeks later...

Probably a restamped replacement commission plate on which the L has been omitted. It's also possible that the L has been omitted on the V5C when your car was re-registered. All conjecture of course but such things happen over the passing of 50+ years.

Nigel

On 10/5/2019 at 2:21 PM, ianc said:

Phil - I suggest you refer this to Jon Marshall, TR4/4A Registrar - contact details in TR Action (I don't think that Jon is a great follower of the Forum).

Ian Cornish

Ian,

Neither is he a great responder to emails. I have queries concerning my imported Arizona 4. I sent him two emails neither of which were answered, I then gave up.

Graham

Neither is he a great responder to emails. I have queries concerning my imported Arizona 4. I sent him two emails neither of which were answered, I then gave up.

+1  - Likewise, & as a fervent supporter of the TR4 marque for nearly 40 years  I even offered to support him in the role he has.....which was also not answered.