Exhaust bracket and crossmember

While working on the exhaust, I realized that the bracket (P/N 130888) that holds the intermediate pipe hanging from the right hand of the gearbox mount is touching the crossmember. 

Nonetheless, no rattle or noise felt before.

Distance between crossmember and top of overdrive case, where the bracket bolts is 1" 

Is it normal or the gearbox mounting is badly worn? 

As the gearbox tunnel is out maybe the best to do is change it.

Any advice will be welcome

Jose I 

IMG_20191004_195136 - Version 3.jpg

IMG_20191004_195121 - Version 3.jpg

IMG_20191004_195113 - Version 3.jpg

Hi Jose,

I think your cross member is fitted upside down. The rear vertical part should be below the cross member as shown in the Moss catalogue.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/crossmember-gearbox-mounting-128055.html

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

HelloJose,

if you have the tunnel out of the car, I definately would change the

gearbox mount for a new one.

I also find shortening the studs on the mount aid fitting and I would wrap the mount in plastic, or something similar to

help long life, there is usually some oil in the vicinity.

John.

The Moss WebCat https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/chassis-subframes/chassis-frame-tr4-1961-65.html 

for a TR4 shows the rear flange of the cross member sticking up. 

For the 4A it suggests (dodgy pic) it drops down

Jose signature indicates a TR4 but he has the TR4a  resonance weight.

If it is a TR4 then the CM stick up.  I would go for the rear mount rubber being soft.

Roger

Roger. Mine is a TR4 built in October 63 and yes, it has the vibration damper, maybe fitted by previous owner.

Graeme. At first I thought that maybe the crossmember was fitted upside down, but the original spare parts catalog shows the rear lip in the upright position

IMG_20191005_115001.jpg

4 hours ago, Chilliman said:

Looks correct to me.....

Thats because it is, By the looks of it the problem is the gear box mount has sunk due to oil contamination. and FWIW Bob yours is the wrong way up.

Stuart.

I had this same conundrum on my TR4 and the upturned bit was causing a real problem as it was cutting it's way through the underneath of the overdrive casing. Even with a new rubber mounting and the old one's mounting plate cut off to make a 1mm + thick spacer, it was still perilously close to the OD casing. In the end I swapped it for a 4A/5/6 (CP) one (p/no 211361 ) where the upturned bit points downward at both the front and the back.

Stuart - when you correctly point out that Bob's is the wrong way round, does it actually matter? 

Cheers Rich

4 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Stuart - when you correctly point out that Bob's is the wrong way round, does it actually matter? 

Cheers Rich

Not really.

Stuart.

All seems to fit OK, I think I tried it the other way first, but this gave better clearance.

I should point out that my Gearbox was from saloon, & being bit longer than standard, the mounting is a bit more rearward than normal.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Thanks for all the advice.

Then I am going to:

Change the gearbox mounting. As old one was only 8 years and 10.000 km old, which supplier would you recommend?

Turn crossmember upside down, or a bit of a grinder to shave off few mm as it is mounted. 

Jose I.

Repro gearbox mounts are poor quality - Discuss.

Mine lasted a couple of oil soaked years.

The replacement will be filled (slowly, awaiting it to set between squirts) with black Silastic.  That should stiffen it!

Cheers

Peter W

Apologies for again wondering off topic, however I realised that my previous comments relating to the gearbox vibration damper were somewhat glib and thus incomplete.

The full details are as follows ;

The vibration damper was indeed introduced during May 1963 on the TR4 in order to reduce vibration which were occurring between engine speeds of 2,700 and 3,000 r.p.m. – with the caveat that “any other vibrations must be investigated independently”

Next, on the 24-7-1964 an Engineering Change was issued – “Deletion of Gearbox Vibration Damper, made possible by the introduction of Stiffened up Gearbox and Clutch Housing”  “N.B. :- These details will not be fitted to the TR4A”

Time moves on and the TR4A arrived, however on the 1-3-1965 an Engineering Change was issued – “Experimental Dept. Request to Change Rear Engine mounting Rubbers to a softer condition by using Vanguard Rear Mounting to assist in reducing Boom and Vibration”

On 7-5-1965 an Engineering Change appeared stating – “Vibration Damping Weight and Fixings introduced in order to eliminate Engine and Transmission noise and boom”

This was fairly swiftly followed on the 16-6-1965 by an Engineering Change which decreed – “introduction of Front Engine Mounting to reduce Boom and Vibration”

Existing part number 130985 being replaced by part number 143057.

NOTE :- It is very important that immediate action is taken by all concerned to implement this Change as quickly as possible.

Thus, this is all the information I have currently available on the subject.

However a possible side effect could have been as noted below :

Engineering Change dated 7-5-1965, “To improve general visibility by eliminating Vibration and Dither being experienced with existing Interior Mirror”

Existing part 614090 to be replaced by part 614173

Regards, Richard

From Peter’s posting it appears that the current offering for a rear gearbox mounting is not a quality item – I wonder if any “Vanguard mounts still exist...?

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Repro gearbox mounts are poor quality - Discuss.

Mine lasted a couple of oil soaked years.

The replacement will be filled (slowly, awaiting it to set between squirts) with black Silastic.  That should stiffen it!

Cheers

Peter W

I know my car is a 3a but it has a 6 box and A type od 

i fitted uprated engine and gearbox mounts 

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/104086u/name/mount-gearbox-to-chas-upr-tr2-6cc-cp

my gearbox mount was like wet mush. 

I felt it best to match all the mountings front and back so there is equal stability. So reduce the possibility of uneven twist which could affect the od mounting plate. Which was where my gearbox leak started. 

But just speculation on my part. 

Edited by Hamish

I fitted one of Revington's uprated rear gearbox mountings 104086 in January 2005 - it's still in there despite a considerable amount of oil leakage (a.k.a. chassis protection!).

I devised a steady for the engine, to reduce side to side rocking, and this is described in G15-19 of the Technicalities CD.  Would only work on TR4/4A because chassis on sidescreen cars is narrower.

Ian Cornish

Add an engine stabiliser like the one TR4 had to reduce engine rotation, brother has one on his TR2, took a bit of cobbling but it works fine. (items 58/59/60 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/engine/engines-components/external-engine-tr2-4a-1953-67.html) and/or fit a cable to stop the engine slipping forward under braking,  like a Morris Minor has as standard to stop the engine going forward when the mechanical clutch operating mechanism is depressed. ( item 56 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/morris/minor/engine/engine-mountings/engine-mountings-steady-bar-minor-1951-71.html)

Cheers

Peter W

Peter - I have that TR4 bracket (58-61) as well, but it is so close to the centre of rotation that I felt it needed some assistance - hence my home-made effort!

Ian Cornish

19 hours ago, Lebro said:

All seems to fit OK, I think I tried it the other way first, but this gave better clearance.

I should point out that my Gearbox was from saloon, & being bit longer than standard, the mounting is a bit more rearward than normal.

Bob.

I'm finding this thread a bit confusing as it is dealing with two issues which I'm not fully conversant with as a newbie.

As far as I know my 4 has a 4A engine with a saloon gearbox and J type overdrive. It has no forward exhaust mounting and I would like to know which type of exhaust mounting would work best. As you have a similar set-up, Bob, I thought you might be able to advise.

For the record I have a single pipe system with 2 silencers in-line as per TR4

Andy

Hi Andy. Mine has an A type overdrive, & as supplied the rear casing of the overdrive would have required an adaptor plate to mount it in the TR.

However, as I was having the overdrive rebuilt anyway, I got the company (Hardy Engineering) to change the casing for one which fitted the TR (actually from a Healy 3000)

I suspect your J type O/D will also have the wrong type of mounting, & so you may not be able to use the setup which I have - which is the standard TR4 type exhaust bracket fixed to the normal TR gearbox mount.

Bob.

Don't want to buy one of these and find it won't fit. There is also a secondhand one on eBay . I'm not sure if that will fit either91317.thumb.jpg.800f5f3b6e6fed5de420c30998bbd885.jpg

s-l400.jpg