American Racing Wheels (1962) for sale

I think you will find they are worth a lot. Especially with those looking for period wheels.

have a search on this site for past discussions like this last year

Edited by Hamish
Link

I have the same wheels, and I've been told they are worth more than the car! You need to see my car to appreciate the remark (rescued from breaking by the skin of its teeth). I also heard that they are made if Magnesium, and one down side is the possibility of cracking. Sadly the original 'NokOf' centre spinners I have are a bit of a mess - and are very hard to find at an affordable price - still looking for an alternative. And, I see you have centre caps - do they screw on?

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_2005.JPG

I believe the centre caps are very rare, so please look after them!
Ian

If anyone wants a set, I think David Ferry has some he wishes to sell

Edited by cvtrian

Two and a half years ago, I paid £900 for a set of four ARE Continental wheels as my son thinks they would look better than the TR6 steel wheels which I have been using for some 49 years - and Kastner fitted them to the other three Works TR4s when they went over to America for the Shell 4000 Rally in 1964. 

Mine will need to be cleaned and treated, should I wish to fit them.

Ian Cornish

54 minutes ago, ianc said:

Two and a half years ago, I paid £900 for a set of four ARE Continental wheels as my son thinks they would look better than the TR6 steel wheels which I have been using for some 49 years - and Kastner fitted them to the other three Works TR4s when they went over to America for the Shell 4000 Rally in 1964. 

Mine will need to be cleaned and treated, should I wish to fit them.

Ian Cornish

Put them on Ian, they will look great!

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the compliment. The photo was taken in early September, somewhere high up in Italy. I cant be too exact as we were on the Club Triumph 10 Country run and at times it was all bit of a blur but bloody good fun. I would say the cars colour is an Old English White but cant be more exact than that as the car underwent a renovation in the late 90's and I have only had the car for 14 years.:blink:

I have always liked these wheels so I ordered a set of four  (ARE Silverstone mk11 from Canada £800 delivered) and am very happy with the copies. They are not so light as the magnesium

ones but much lighter than the minilite/K&N etc.

Regards HarryTR5 Nutter

"but much lighter than the minilite/K&N"

And that matters because...?

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, Swarf said:

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the compliment. The photo was taken in early September, somewhere high up in Italy. I cant be too exact as we were on the Club Triumph 10 Country run and at times it was all bit of a blur but bloody good fun. I would say the cars colour is an Old English White but cant be more exact than that as the car underwent a renovation in the late 90's and I have only had the car for 14 years.:blink:

Looks very tidy - got a way to go yet on mine - but it did only cost me £1500 including the ARE 'Silverstones'!

Tr.jpg

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Unsprung weight Mick:)

If it was on a 450 kg single seat race car I'd agree Waldi, but having raced a TR on Alloys and Magnesium original Minilites,  I fear the big fat TR at 950kg (race weight, even more for standard road going version) doesn't allow such benefits to be even noticed or transfer into lower lap times which is what lower unsprung weights normally give. I accept that Harry's comment was just an observation.

regards Mick Richards

Thanks Mick,

I’m not a racer boy, and the dynamic behaviour of wheels, chassis, suspension  etc is not my forte.

The only advantage I see is easier removal/installation of the wheels:)

Best regards,

Waldi

On 10/4/2019 at 12:52 PM, rogerowen said:

I have the same wheels, and I've been told they are worth more than the car! You need to see my car to appreciate the remark (rescued from breaking by the skin of its teeth). I also heard that they are made if Magnesium, and one down side is the possibility of cracking. Sadly the original 'NokOf' centre spinners I have are a bit of a mess - and are very hard to find at an affordable price - still looking for an alternative. And, I see you have centre caps - do they screw on?

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_2005.JPG

Hi, no they fit into the holes. Thanks for the reply. Gz Jo

On 10/4/2019 at 4:39 PM, Quicksilver said:

Jo, just store them in your garage. It is a original  option to your early TR4 (1961?).

Marcel 

Hi Marcel, maby its better indeed to store them in my garage. My car is from feb 1962. it seems that they are quite expensive if you find them. I just don't really understand why they are so wanted. They are not really beautiful and apparently they can be dangerous if they are not in good condition.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:30 AM, Hamish said:

I think you will find they are worth a lot. Especially with those looking for period wheels.

have a search on this site for past discussions like this last year

Hi, maby its better indeed to store them in my garage. My car is from feb 1962. it seems that they are quite expensive if you find them. I just don't really understand why they are so wanted. They are not really beautiful and apparently they can be dangerous if they are not in good condition.