H Frame padding/covering

The central H frame that I will be recovering for my TR5 restoration is fairly tatty. 

I will be putting a new cover on it but am reluctant to pull off the old split vinyl for fear of pulling off what appears to be an underlying foam/expanded polystyrene type padding. However, I don't want to put the new cover on and find that the blemishes, missing chunks, etc. in the old cover show through in the form of dips and bumps.

I seem to remember a previous thread on the Forum about a product to fill these dips and cracks but can't remember when and where.

Can anyone help please?

Dave McD

If they are still available go for the TR. shop cover that has all the foam in it, you start with a bare ally frame, not cheap but very nice.

Stuart.

On 10/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, stuart said:

If they are still available go for the TR. shop cover that has all the foam in it, you start with a bare ally frame, not cheap but very nice.

Stuart.

Stuart,

Thanks but I've already bought the new cover in a specific colour without foam. Is the padding simply that - a foam sponge layer? If so I have some thin foam which I could use glued on and strip the alloy bare first. 

Having trial fitted the H frame before stripping the dash with the new cover over the old covered frame it's VERY tight so I think I'll have to strip back to the bare frame and start with a new thin foam anyway.

Dave McD

Dave,

I had a new vinyl cover without foam, it came with the car when I bought it; removed all existing foam, installed new foam, 3- 5 mm or so, and then glued the new cover on; I used a set of small clamps, 10 or so, and did a small section every day.

It looks ok-ish but not perfect. This may be due to my limited trimming skills, but also, in some area’s, there was just not enough material.

If you can repair the existing foam, I would try that first.

If I had to buy a new cover it would certainly be a moulded cover.

Regards,

Waldi

On 10/5/2019 at 10:07 PM, Dave McDonald said:

Stuart,

Thanks but I've already bought the new cover in a specific colour without foam. Is the padding simply that - a foam sponge layer? If so I have some thin foam which I could use glued on and strip the alloy bare first. 

Having trial fitted the H frame before stripping the dash with the new cover over the old covered frame it's VERY tight so I think I'll have to strip back to the bare frame and start with a new thin foam anyway.

Dave McD

The foam in the new covers is essentially the same as original which is quite a solid foam injection moulded.

Stuart.

For what it’s worth I recovered mine with one of the leather kits available,used foam on the front section but glued cover directly  to the legs and back section.

Really pleased with the end results.

One other thing to take into account the nibs which support the speaker panels are part of the moulded cover and not the alloy frame

Edited by Mark69

That looks very nice Mark,

you are a better trimmer than me:)

I think your method of not putting foam on the legs and back is better, and will give a tighter appearce  than with the soft foam that I used all around.

Cheers,

Waldi

I re-covered mine using foam from a wheel arch trimming kit. I had some spare since one of the big suppliers persuaded me that I needed to buy the foam separately but it also came with the Skinner trim set. I glued the foam on first then the vinyl covering. Very pleased with the result