John L

PI Fuel Pressure

I have just rechecked my fuel pressure out of interest after my adventure, and the change of the battery, with just the key on engine not running I see 125psi.

I know the pressure should only be 110psi max.

I haven't had any problems, car runs fine, no extra fuel consumption, I think it even starts better.

Suppose I should put it back to 110psi max or leave?

This is just with my new battery, I must say I'm impressed with the Russian item so far, its showing 13V with nothing connected,  I didn't think the old Bosch battery was that bad, as I had set the pressure a few weeks before my departure.

John

125 is a bit high and potentially shortens the life of your pump, damaging to the metering unit and greater potential for leaks.

The recommended is 105-110 psi.

I agree with Andy 125 (assuming your pressure gauge is correct) requires the pump to work much harder drawing more current and thus running hotter. As heat in the pump is a problem and needs to use the fuel in the tank as a cooling reservoir more heat cannot be good.

As the system is designed to run at 10% lower pressure than you are using it will not bring any benefit, only the potential for grief and expense.

Strange though if a pressure relief valve "moves" its adjustment and is probably more likely to be stuck closed and the pump will be running at its maximum.

Alan 

Hi Both 

Given all the problems with the pumps Lucas or Bosch has anyone run a modern in tank pump where it will be cool along with adjustable external pressure regulator/gauge similar to a modern EFI set up?

Andy 

Having the pump submerged in the  petrol won't result in cooler fuel- which is the cause of most pump problems. My PRV has been set at 680 kPa (gauge) with air and the PI system has worked perfectly since I had the MU and injectors rebuilt and recalibrated a few years ago. The PRV setting has been unchanged since I bought the car in 1998- it works with my PI system so I see no point in changing it.

2 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi Both 

Given all the problems with the pumps Lucas or Bosch has anyone run a modern in tank pump where it will be cool along with adjustable external pressure regulator/gauge similar to a modern EFI set up?

Andy 

With a proper Bosch pump set up, a clean fuel tank and the metering unit/prv/injectors/throttle bodies  reconditioned by someone like Raven Smith there really are not a lot of problems to be honest...and I speak from experience...and we are talking a 50 year old vehicle here too

I agree, my Bosch set up works fine. However  I guess a pump in the tank would remove any inlet piping restriction problems.

Is there such a thing as a high pressure in-tank pump? I have only seen low pressure pumps for carbs, but I have never researched other pumps as my Bosch works well (chassis mounted).

Alan

44 minutes ago, barkerwilliams said:

Is there such a thing as a high pressure in-tank pump?

Bosch 044 can be submerged. 

The part no of the Bosch submersible pump is 0 580 254 040 ( runs at 100 psi )

Harvey S. Maitland