bumpers chrome verses stainless ?

Hello me again but on a different subject, i need to get a full set of bumpers for my 3a, i know that stainless steel are available, does anybody have these fitted to their car and are they truly "stainless",  how good are the reproductions? for and against? opinions please.

The only issue I can see with the SS bumpers is -

if you get a deep score the removal/polishing process can leave the surface with a distorted image effect (like the fairground hall of mirrors).

Whereas the chrome bumpers can be replated back to perfect condition.

But it is horses for courses.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
55 minutes ago, RogerH said:

The only issue I can see with the SS bumpers is -

if you get a deep score the removal/polishing process can leave the surface with a distorted image effect (like the fairground hall of mirrors).

The SS is also a thinner gauge of metal I understand.

But it is horses for courses.

Roger

I wouldnt have said they were thinner.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

with the SS bumpers is -

Out of interest can stainless steel bumpers not be  chrome plated ?

I also had the impression that the SS was of thinner gauge, perhaps it's metric rather than imperial and a decent layer of chrome over copper will add to the feel as well.

Personally, I very much prefer the warmer softer look of chrome plated rather than stainless, but perhaps after 20 or more years of polishing the stainless likewise becomes rounder.?   Certainly the stainless steel bumpers on my 'other car' is less bothersome to live with.  I am always a little anxious not to scratch my chrome bumpers whereas, as previously remarked ; the stainless are fit n forget, to the point of being disposable  ..or sacrificial.!  

well as far as i know stainless steel is harder than your average mild steel due to the Chromium so it can be a bit thinner,  and i suppose it will depend on who you buy from i would hope that the likes of Moss europe would vet their suppliers for a good quality product ( other suppliers are available ) and as for scratches they are bumpers and they do exactly what it says on the tin, unless you are talking about putting bumpers on your bumpers to protect your bumpers etc, so i would say two up to stainless.

I suspect that all the SS bumpers come from the same source - namely Vietnam where they are hand beaten and polished.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's site. https://groupharrington.com/

Rgds Ian

PS Graham, Lovely looking car but the radio aerial made me smile.  A radio would be a bit pointless in my TR3a - there's too much other (mainly exhaust) noise!

Edited by Ian Vincent
38 minutes ago, RoyM said:

oh yeah nice looking car, three up to stainless.

Yeah Yeah nice bumpers, nice car, nice garage and the sun is shining. Well at least we don't have Kangaroos to run into and dent the Bumper:D (area around whipsnade excepted).

I am only jealous Graham

Paul