Who Sells The Best Steel Pi Fuel Tank

Hi,

I need a new fuel tank as the existing one is no good for my (back to Pi conversion) the tank has been sealed and now there is a blockage on the PRV fuel return. See photo.

Who sells the best steel fuel tank ?

Thanks.

IMG_0675.jpg

Mark - as you probably know I’m biased towards alloy fuel tanks.

From what I can gather and see, steel fuel tanks are typically more expensive than alloy and of course rust whereas alloy doesn’t. Modern ethanol fuels absorb or hold water in them so would you rather have a material they rusts in this environment or one that doesn’t?

Next you may been worried by some concerns of the strength of alloy tanks compared to steel ones  and cases of alloy ones cracking. There have been some **** alloy tanks around , supplied by some fairly respected suppliers, and some reports of them cracking which I’m sure are true, but **** products are **** and one shouldn’t tarnish all products with the same brush 

Quite a few on this forum are aware I can source Alicool alloy fuel tanks at very attractive prices, and I have spoken to Alicool at length and on numerous occasions about  rumours  of alloy tanks being susceptible to cracking- they have assured me they have not experienced issues like this in their TR tanks, and as far as I’m aware, none of the people I have supplied tanks to have come back with any issues- when you see the quality of their tanks, it might be clearer where I’m coming from, so I have no reason to doubt what they are saying.

At the end of the day though, it’s your choice, but bear this in mind - I bet if you buy a steel tank , it will be rusty inside before you even start

If in the end you want to consider an alloy one, you know where to come! Or anyone else for that matter!

cheers Rich

Edited by rcreweread
spelling mistake

I am going to Alicool for my tank,they are only a mile from me. I visited them earlier in the year, they put my mind to rest with the answers they gave regards to points in the above posts, also he pointed out that the fit is spot on.

Paul

Edited by Paul Hill
8 hours ago, tr6tuga said:

Have a extra tank in fairly good condition no cost just tranport back to uk.pm for details

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated, but I want to go for a new tank.

16 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Mark - as you probably know I’m biased towards alloy fuel tanks.

From what I can gather and see, steel fuel tanks are typically more expensive than alloy and of course rust whereas alloy doesn’t. Modern ethanol fuels absorb or hold water in them so would you rather have a material they rusts in this environment or one that doesn’t?

Next you may been worried by some concerns of the strength of alloy tanks compared to steel ones  and cases of alloy ones cracking. There have been some **** alloy tanks around , supplied by some fairly respected suppliers, and some reports of them cracking which I’m sure are true, but **** products are **** and one shouldn’t tarnish all products with the same brush 

Quite a few on this forum are aware I can source Alicool alloy fuel tanks at very attractive prices, and I have spoken to Alicool at length and on numerous occasions about  rumours  of alloy tanks being susceptible to cracking- they have assured me they have not experienced issues like this in their TR tanks, and as far as I’m aware, none of the people I have supplied tanks to have come back with any issues- when you see the quality of their tanks, it might be clearer where I’m coming from, so I have no reason to doubt what they are saying.

At the end of the day though, it’s your choice, but bear this in mind - I bet if you buy a steel tank , it will be rusty inside before you even start

If in the end you want to consider an alloy one, you know where to come! Or anyone else for that matter!

cheers Rich

Rich, have PM'd you.

18 hours ago, Robert Price said:

Fitted alloy tanks on several TR6's over the years no problem and bought the last one from Rich modified for a larger width spare.

Rob

Thanks, already received my new tank via Rich.

11 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

I've got an original tr6 metal fuel tank which has been stripped clean and treated inside which is apparently suitable for modern fuel - I'm now thinking of selling it to buy an alloy tank. Anyone any idea would be a fair price to sell this for? 

Thanks in advance

Michael

I would say around £80 providing the perforations on the fuel return pipe inside the tank have not been blocked during the cleaning / treatment process - mine was blocked.

Cheers.

Mark.

Thanks Mark I will have a look although there's one on ebay that hasn't been cleaned and treated for the same price so I think maybe a £100 is fair- its still a perfectly usable tank its from USA and has been dry stored empty since refurb--I didn't actually want it refurbing but the guy helping me with restoration didn't wait to ask me and just had it done! 

Michael