Wiper motor

Hi Roger,

I have found the adaptor lead you will need.  Adaptor

If you are lucky the motor will work perfectly for ever and ever. However it is possible that one day the motor will continue to run with it turned off.

This will be caused by the self parking pin in the motor (easily accessed) wearing down (cheap nylon)  The switch can be replaced easily

My replacement has lasted longer than the original. 

Or you can waste days, weeks, months and redesign the switch to be contactless (my idea) or fit a very small microswitch (somebody else's idea)

Roger

The MG chaps have done the mod of the round motor (from late MGB) into a vehicle with square body motor (MGA) and retained the original switch.  It involves wire type stuff and relays.  No doubt there are some here who will nod sagely at the diagram.

See here

https://www.mgcc.co.uk/mga-register/wp-content/uploads/sites/22/2013/12/Safety-Fast-2-speed-wiper-article-updated-version-dec-13.pdf

I am considering changing to the TR6 14w 2 speed wiper motor on my TR4 as my next project . Two questions firstly is it better to source a second hand OE motor and have it reconditioned if so any recommendations on who could do this, or buy a repro motor from one of the usual suppliers, secondly I would like to preserve the appearance of the original switches if possible, is it possible to use and adapt the TR6 switch.

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,

the 14W motors are being made new and used widespread - landrovers etc.  So I wouldn't fret about repro V NOS.

The TR4A switch does not work with the 14W. I'm just looking through my information from 2019 and the TR4A switch always ends up with being crossed out.

The TR6 switch a fancy rotary thing with a washer button (I think)  it should work as that is what it is designed for but!!!

Roger

23 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Roger,

you will need to mount the motor securely. There are brackets etc for the job butt you can also make your own.

I used 2 pieces of a plastic material. The bottom is attached to the car and the top is attached to the bottom. This keeps visible bolt heads  to a minimum.

Roger

DSC_4767a.jpg

DSC_4770a.jpg

Thanks Roger, Yet another mod I hadn't thought of! I bought the strap mounting kit but had not realised the motor needs to be raised on blocks! I'm now concerned that it will not fit in the space left next to the master cylinders.:wacko:

6 hours ago, rogerowen said:

Thanks Roger, Yet another mod I hadn't thought of! I bought the strap mounting kit but had not realised the motor needs to be raised on blocks! I'm now concerned that it will not fit in the space left next to the master cylinders.:wacko:

It will fit.

Stuart.

• 3 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 10:35 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Roger,

the 4A switch will NOT work on the W14 (TR6) motor   Have a look here for switches and other stuff   STUFF  NOTE - you may have to be creative in getting the switch to fit but it will.  It is a toggle switch rather than pull.

You may also need an adaptor harness for the motor to the existing loom - I'm sure I got mine from Moss but can't find it on their site at present.

Consider keeping your 4A wheel boxes as they are slight larger diameter thatn the TR6 so will improve the motor torque.

The gear wheel in the W14 motor will give toooooo wide a sweep. from the SVC site get a 90 or 95 degree gear wheel.  This will also improve the motor torque.

With the 4A wheel boxes + 90/95 gear wheel + the W14 you can easily wipe a dry screen.

WARNING - do NOT hold a wiper blade and then switch the wiper motor on - the torque is so great you will flip the car over  :lol::lol::P

Roger

Hi Roger, Tempus Fugit, and all that....or as Douglas Adams once said 'Time is an illusion....lunch-time doubly so'. I still have not got around to replacing my 4A wiper system with TR6 update. About the switch, I'm not sure why the original switch will not work - but I realise you may have had experience with this. If I do need to swap the switch for a new one - do you think this rotary one suitable, or will I have to submit to the toggle switch version? I've asked the supplier, but they could not advise me on this.

https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/two-speed-rotary-wiper-motor-switch/

Thanks Roger.

Hi Roger,

after I fitted the toggle switch (which does work but took some ingenuity on my part to fit as I also change the facia !!!) somebody mentioned about the TR6 later rotary switch

It is the same motor so should work 0 but !! I have not tried it.   Is there switch you have posted for the TR6 - if so it may well work.

I gave the original TR4 two speed switch a fair trial but I could not make it work.  The switching is not correct for the W14 motor - I may have another look at t in the Autumn.

Roger

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Roger,

after I fitted the toggle switch (which does work but took some ingenuity on my part to fit as I also change the facia !!!) somebody mentioned about the TR6 later rotary switch

It is the same motor so should work 0 but !! I have not tried it.   Is there switch you have posted for the TR6 - if so it may well work.

I gave the original TR4 two speed switch a fair trial but I could not make it work.  The switching is not correct for the W14 motor - I may have another look at t in the Autumn.

Roger

Thanks Roger, The supplier can't tell me anything about the rotary switch's suitability - so I'll just try it and see.Thanks for the info, hope you are well.