TR6 Inner Wings

Rebuilding TR6 which had poorly fitted replacement front inner wings (edge welded to wheel arch over remains of original inner wing). I will refit these as I think they could be original BL replacements (from details in the pressing and by comparison to a reference three-piece repro). 

1) I found a historic posting on this forum where Stuart advised checking that the inner wing has reinforcement at the hinge mounting point.  The repro panel has a fixed plate with captive nuts, but the "BL" just two 18mm dia holes (which put the hinge in a slightly different location to the repro).  I think that the holes will allow additional movement for gap alignment... either with large plain washers as found, or I could fabricate a slip-plate with captive nuts to create additional stiffness.

2) The repro panel appears to be slightly longer than the "BL"; is it a known feature of the repro panels to be slightly longer than original?  Any other differences?

Any thoughts on these two issues?

The reason that the BL panel doesnt have the re-enforcing plate is because it was sold as a separate item back then. The repro is probably a bit longer as you will notice the cut out curve to fit the wheel arch doesnt match the original wheel arch curve where it would be spotted to it so they often need to be cut and shut to suit.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart.  I may consider making up a slip plate to add a bit of strength, but fit this only after setting bonnet gaps.

I will be fitting a new BMH wheel arch on the side with the BL inner wing; I assume that this is fitted so that the whole of the fillet between flange and arch is visible when viewed from the inside.  It just about does this without trimming the flange (although the flange is a bit wider towards the front of the wheel arch), but is my assumption correct?

I would remove the re-enforcing plate from your old inner wing if you still have it as it needs the strength of that size plate as the bonnet is heavy and theres a lot of forces at play when opening. The wheel arch return lip goes outside the inner wing like this.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 094.jpg