These anti sway bays and fittings came with my long door TR2 but may be from other cars such as a Healey. I have no experience with anti sway bars but if they are suitable now want to fit them to my daily driver TR2.

The top one in the photo with the mounts on it fits onto the chassis in front of the front wishbone and the ends appear to line up with the outer wishbone rear bolt. I say appear to as with the car on the ground they are about 1cm too wide but when the wishbones are level with the ground they should line up correctly. I have the vertical links.

I am not sure what the other bars are, they don't fit on the front, nor what the links are for. I suspect they are rear sway bars.

Is my thinking right on the front bar? Can anybody identify the other bars and what the links are for?

IMG_3562.JPG.695aa10a1a5553f836497426cdf71cf5.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

Edited by John McCormack

Hi John.

I think the middle bar in your 2nd photo is a rear bar for TR2-3, used with the longer brackets shown slightly below it.

The other two bars are probably front, but can't comment on the other brackets.

Photo is of Rimmer Bros rear bar fitted to my car (after a great deal of fettling !            1587719197_Viewunder.thumb.jpg.a245db03e989d5acfa71cdaa51daa21c.jpg

6 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Hi John.

I think the middle bar in your 2nd photo is a rear bar for TR2-3, used with the longer brackets shown slightly below it.

The other two bars are probably front, but can't comment on the other brackets.

Photo is of Rimmer Bros rear bar fitted to my car (after a great deal of fettling !            1587719197_Viewunder.thumb.jpg.a245db03e989d5acfa71cdaa51daa21c.jpg

Thanks mate. I have started fitting the top bar to the front. A bit of fiddling tomorrow should see it on. 

The brackets go over the chassis under the idler and in the same position on the other side. The bar attaches to the rear outer wishbone bolt location. Hopefully it won't interfere with anything.

I'll then see if I can get the rear one lined up as you suggest.

I have been driving the TR2 for 43 years without any suspension mods. I am interested in seeing how much difference it makes.

You have a hotchpoch of bits there but from what I have the bottom bar is the one to fit with the Top right hand brackets fitted to a variation of the 3rd one down brackets bolted to the side of the chassis inside the bumper arm brackets with a variation of the second brackets down bolted to the front lower wishbone. You have an email with some pictures as requested.

Let me know if you need more.

Stuart.

Thank you all.

I was too confident yesterday. 

This sway bar bolts onto the chassis just in front of the wishbone mount. It fits there perfectly without me adjusting anything so it is clear to me that is how it came off the previous fitment to the long door car. IMG_3568.thumb.JPG.ff1b273424ba8f96f43a96a98502dff9.JPGIMG_3564.thumb.JPG.e242729be07cdc17748e0c2ecf50f0dc.JPG

My problem is the outer end of the bar doesn’t line up with the outer rear wishbone bolt. The hole in the bar is very close to the wishbone hole longitudinally. Laterally you can see the bar is a good 1”outside the wishbone hole. None of the fittings that came with the car will make it fit.

I think I might be missing something obvious. 

Maybe despite the obvious fitting of the bar to the car it isn't the right one for the car? 

Any ideas welcome

9 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Maybe for a TR4, wider track ?

Bob.

hi Bob. After more fiddling and jacking wheels up I find the holes do line up. The photos attached I took to show how the wishbone bolt and vertical link are in fact parallel. The vertical link when attached to the bar points directly at the wishbone bolt.

I was thinking of making a plate 2" by 1 1/2" with two holes. Attach the wishbone bolt to one hole and the vertical link to the other.

As the suspension moves there would be a small amount of lateral movement but it would be small.

What do you think

IMG_3570.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

I have never seen that type of outer end bracket before or since though I think the car had spent some time in the US as it had a lot of Amco bits on despite being a genuine UK car.It had definitely been Modsported back in the day.

Stuart.

5 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Looks like Addco from US

Triumph Tune used to sell them

http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/catalog/triumph/

cheers

Peter W

Could well be, the bracket sits nicely under the two outer lower wishbone bolts

Stuart.

IMG_1440 - Copy.JPG

No I am wrong, I have just checked the Addco fitting instructions and the wishbone connection is drawn differently.  In fact the Addco fitting is just a flat steel plate  - YUK!!

http://addco.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/130.pdf

Could be original SAH

Peter W

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

No I am wrong, I have just checked the Addco fitting instructions and the wishbone connection is drawn differently.  In fact the Addco fitting is just a flat steel plate  - YUK!!

http://addco.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/130.pdf

Could be original SAH

Peter W

Wouldnt have said SAH as Ive never seen it in any of the catalogues. I still think Amco.

Stuart.

Any suggestions how to best attache the bar to the wishbone? 

I have the same non-Addco bar on the front of my TR2 ……..I bought this 2nd hand from Buckles about 35 years ago and have transferred it from car to car since.....II think I've had it on 6 TRs over the years....it works well but I've always wondered who manufactured it.....definitely a professional job....and PLEASE gents, can we use the English phrase Anti-Roll bar for the front bar, not the American anti-sway bar...…..Bill P.