ignition on!!!

I would suggest that the ignition is picking up a feed from the permanent live through a fault in the fuse box probably corrosion 

Try disconnecting the permanent live (brown) wire from the fuse box making sure it doesn't short out on anything,  then see if you still have the problem. If so remove the fuse box and give it a good clean up. 

If the above did not fix your problem I would suspect it's a fault in the ignition switch.

George 

Check if you still has power to the coil after ignition turned off, than trace backwards. Problem probably at the ignition key, a friend of mine had a similar problem due to that the whole ignition key lock had rotated and then shorted a couple of wires behind the lock. Another problem with not cutting out was given to me after I had wired in a main relay, the relay got enough power to hold via ignition warning lamp (cured with a diode)

Did you perhaps cause this by your earlier investigations into rough running?  Were you disconnecting any wiring?  If so that is probably the first place to look.

Also if you have fitted any new wiring the same applies. Is your car wiring  bog standard or are there added accessories?   It is possible for a 'sneak feed'  from another circuit, eg through a relay coil, to provide just enough power to the coil to keep the engine running even if the full 12v isn't present. 

Edited by RobH