How many to lift a TR2 body shell?

3 of us did brother's TR2 shell/tub onto the chassis after it came back from blasting.

We have an 'H' shaped bracing frame inside between hood frame bolt holes and inner front bulkhead sides. plus a cross brace (Dexion) between front body mounts (useful to lift on) and the apron mounting aluminium cross tube to stop the wobble.

No wings, doors, bonnet, apron , or boot lid are fitted.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

My wife and I did it 30 years ago with I think one other helper. More recently I had four able bodied people and I had fitted a brace for each door opening to prevent the body twisting. I didn't bother with bracing 30 years ago, just lifted it off the trailer and onto the chassis.

Two people, one at each end, can lift it a few inches. Four people, one at each corner would be ideal if you need to lift it to put it on stands or turn it over. I used a two ton engine crane with a long boom to do most of the lifting since I had the body on and off the frame many times but I had helpers when I needed to turn the tub over for painting.

Stan

56 minutes ago, roger murray-evans said:

Have 5 able men and 1 very able woman lined up for Sunday!

Roger M-E

Shouldn’t that be 

Have 5 able men OR 1 very able woman

that’s what my wife believes anyway. 

1 hour ago, roger murray-evans said:

Have 5 able men and 1 very able woman lined up for Sunday!

I've just removed the carbs and the handbrake, and wrapped the

rear shocker mounts and spring shackles in cardboard to reduce 

any impact damage.

Thanks for the advice .

Roger M-E

Good plan Roger. In addition to the people doing the lifting it is good to have someone free to deal with issues like something getting snagged without having to put the tub down.

No quarter asked.None given Bob!

My bodyshop man was instructed to fit bracing bars, but he

pooh-poohed the whole idea.My bodyshell being pretty much

rot free, and  with all the impact damage body repairs being conducted on

a straight chassis, he completely relies upon his judgement and

an accurate measuring stick.Based on a great deal of previous experience,

I let him do it his way, but I know that bracing the doors, as a minimum,

is usually the way to go, and if i were doing my self, that would be my chosen

route.The truth will out when the panels are refitted and gaps come back under

scrutiny.

I do, however, have complete trust in his work.

Roger M-E

4 hours ago, Lebro said:

I don't see any bracing across the door aperture tops !

A properly repaired shell shouldnt need them. Ive done quite a few and when you get to the paint stage you have to remove them anyway. Two man job to lift and fit a bare shell to a chassis

Stuart.

I have been told that, on the assembly line at Coventry, the fitters used persuaders (known as heavy hammers to the likes of us) to make panels fit properly, but if too far out, panels would go to ST dealers as items to be sold for repairs/replacements.

I cannot vouch for the truth of this!

I can say that when the Thames Valley Group visited Canley on 26th November 1970, there was a serious shortage of parts, and the roads on the site were crowded with TR6s and other models, each fitted with 3 nuts per wheel and a bag hanging from the rear view mirror detailing all the parts which would have to be fitted once they became available!  This allowed production to continue, but how long the shortages lasted, I have no idea.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

I have been told that, on the assembly line at Coventry, the fitters used persuaders (known as heavy hammers to the likes of us) to make panels fit properly, but if too far out, panels would go to ST dealers as items to be sold for repairs/replacements.

I cannot vouch for the truth of this!

I can say that when the Thames Valley Group visited Canley on 26th November 1970, there was a serious shortage of parts, and the roads on the site were crowded with TR6s and other models, each fitted with 3 nuts per wheel and a bag hanging from the rear view mirror detailing all the parts which would have to be fitted once they became available!  This allowed production to continue, but how long the shortages lasted, I have no idea.

Ian Cornish

One of their favourite implements for "Aligning" panels was a cricket bat. At the end of the week the pile of panels that didnt fit definitely went to the dealers as spares stock which is why any original "Stanpart" panels that come for sale although being better than the repros will still need fettling to fit.

Stuart.

In my defence at what would otherwise be a display of overkill,

the complete rolling chassis, with engine and gearbox, were situated

behind the body, so the whole shell had to lifted above rocker cover height

in order to allow the chassis to be rolled forward under the rear apron and floors

and then forward  to the engine bay.If the body had started at the rear of the chassis, i could probably

have fudged the job on my own.One of those things that doesn't occur to you

when spreading the carcass around!

Roger M-e