Hi All

These pics taken about 3 years .

Original solid chassis, unleaded conversion, really strong engine. Gearbox great apart from a slight clunk sometimes when engaging second. Overdrive worked perfectly until we put in new clutch,

Seats are awful, furflex awful, interior needs attention, roof difficult to shut ( without the help of hot sun or hair drier !!).  Bodywork ok but far from perfect etc etc. All easy fixes for someone with knowledge. That is not me.

I am thinking of selling the car having owned it for over 10 years only having covered about 2000 local miles.

This is not an advert but would like an idea of how much you guys think a car like this would be worth as I have genuinely no idea ...the range of prices seems extreme.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not expect a fortune but do not want to give it away ( Dealer offered me 9000 if thats any help )

WP_20150907_008.jpg

WP_20150907_009.jpg

WP_20150907_011.jpg

WP_20150907_006.jpg

WP_20150907_007.jpg

I have seen my fair share while looking last year, as John said a fair price would be 12k to 13k 

Can I give you a method rather than a value? Start with a base value of perhaps £17,000, then start deducting repair parts and labour costs.

The major price of any car is the state of the metal work, if yours is as solid as you say then leave value as is. A genuine 100% rust free car is a rare beast, a badly rusted car can end up at zero value surprisingly quickly.

Deduct £600 for new seats. Deduct £2,000 for gearbox and overdrive overhaul. Deduct £700 for a replacement hood. etc, etc  working down though your list of issues then you end up with a reasonable value. What price you can sell for depends on what time of year and how soon you need the car gone.

Ensure your advert details  all the problems, then any potential buyer cannot argue that  an area needs addressing which reduces his offer (but they will try) and ensure you have built a margin of perhaps a couple of thousand to haggle.

Put the hood up now and leave it up, a few months under tension will ease its fitting as the fabric stretches and settles. 

When you come to sell gloss the tyres, polish the car and chrome work and remove all odd junk (Easy start, oil thickeners, no-smoke snake oil etc.) from the garage to reinforce your status as caring careful ownership. I have even heard that a tartan blanket folded nicely on the rear seat gives a favourable impression to prospective buyers, you are not just selling a car your selling the lifestyle the car can bring.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

The actual sold prices of this time last year of some TR6s and all the other earlier and subsequent sold prices are on this site:

https://www.brightwells.com/classic-motoring/general-information/classic-vintage-past-results/leominster-past-results-26th-september-2018/

Regards

Bill 

Hi All,

Just came across this topic and it sounded interesting.

Had a look at the link in Bill's post and oh dear.

There is a 1972 6 in what looks like Sapphire (lot 17 if you search under Triumph) described as "smart looking TR6" having had respray and a number of other bits and it sold for £9900, which is a slight worry as mine already owes me more than that and its not finished yet!!

But what the hell, i'm not building it to make a profit.

Which is a good job as i'd be out of business at this rate, lol.

Keith

2 hours ago, Keith66 said:

Hi All,

Just came across this topic and it sounded interesting.

Had a look at the link in Bill's post and oh dear.

There is a 1972 6 in what looks like Sapphire (lot 17 if you search under Triumph) described as "smart looking TR6" having had respray and a number of other bits and it sold for £9900, which is a slight worry as mine already owes me more than that and its not finished yet!!

But what the hell, i'm not building it to make a profit.

Which is a good job as i'd be out of business at this rate, lol.

Keith

Hi Keith 

Don't loose to much heart I now own that car I think it was purchased by a dealer sold to the friend of another TR register member then acquired by me a month or so ago. I paid a lot more than £9,900.

It is indeed a sapphire blue. 

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Thanks for the info.

Nice to know in one way as at the stage of the rebuild i'm at it has to be finished kind of regardless of what it eventually costs me.

The colour struck me as mine is also Sapphire so pretty much the same.

As a new(ish) owner enjoy it.

Cheers  Keith