TR2 door capping details

Hi, can anybody put up a photo of how the door capping end was originally finished, with the decorative piece in place (Moss Europe part no 606848). If you know how that piece is installed I'd be very pleased.

Edited by John McCormack
26 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

+1.  Here are photo's of the chrome cappings on my 3A.

Tom.

DSC_0136 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0137 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0138 - Copy.JPG

Thank you. Are you sure about the 2 not having them? Moss Europe show them as being TR3A only but others indicate them on all sidescreens.

A photo of how the capping end was originally finished would now be great. Thanks in advance.

52 minutes ago, stuart said:

TR2`s didnt have that finisher in the end they were just trimmed off with the capping material

Stuart.

Thank you. Are you sure about the 2 not having them? Moss Europe show them as being TR3A only but others indicate them on all sidescreens.+

I am after originality for this car so won't use them if they weren't original. I have a set so might put them in my other TR2 when I redo its upholstery.

Edited by John McCormack

They definitely arent fitted to TR2 I dont have any pictures to confirm on here as my TR sidescreen book is at home but I know this to be correct. The aluminium cappings on TR2 early TR3 doors dont have the upstand on each end for those buttons to snap into.

Stuart.

Edit found this picture of original TR2 in wicker

IMG_2453.jpg

Edited by stuart

Thank you all. I have my answer.

Sorry Bob,

Not finished like that but more complicated.

A circle of either leather or vinyl with a tag to wrap under. keyhole shape. Triangles cut out of the circle and glued over rubber foam. Then the rubber held in place with glued thin muslin and finally the leather/vinyl glued to outside and folded over then wrapped over and under neatly. leave glue for a week to really go off.

use clothes pegs and card to protect. glue only material not rubber

TR 2 caps are over the door card not under so extreme care needed before trimming excess material.

P1290092.JPG

Draft excluders on an original TR2 are a real faff and even more fiddly but same principal. I used rubber fuel pipe do this job slowly as the material tag has to run round an inside curve. In this case I used fold back bulldog clips with card to hold material tight to the rubber till glue went off.

P2260084.JPG

and finally the b post caps, good luck with this................................................... it took me 4 days to work material for the inside double curvature. All my trim was in leather and copied from the original as a template.

you need the work the material in two dimensions so it doesn't look like Nora Batty's stockings. These are my TR 3a but you get the gist.

Take Your Time now as you will have to live with it for your lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PICT1698.JPG

Edited by Rodbr
7 hours ago, Rodbr said:

TR 2 caps are over the door card not under so extreme care needed before trimming excess material.

No theyre not.

Stuart.

IMG_2473.jpg

Short and sweet as usual Stuart.

Quite correct,Ii meant the "S" b post trim is over the quarter panel. The principle was caution about trimming back till final fit.

give me a break it was about 3 am this morning.

Rod

Thanks guys. I am having this car done by a motor trimmer, I am hopeless at these jobs. I can measure 3 times and cut once and cock it up.

He has the detail so all good.

IMG_3535.JPG

IMG_3536.JPG

3 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Where was your horn push button sourced from John?

I have a couple of those but have no idea which Triumph/Standard used them.

Cheers

Peter W

I believe they are Vanguard items. The previous owner of this car was told they are TR2 original parts but they aren't. However, it is possible, at least down here, that they were fitted by a dealer to get a sale.