Scuttle vent lid

I have a CC 72 TR6 converted to RHD. The car has a lid on the scuttle air vent but currently has no way to open the lid. I can see  diagrams on rimmers/moss that show a rod that passes into the cabin to open/close the vent lid. I can't find picture or information on what operates this rod. If anyone is able to send me a picture or any other details  on what operates the rod that would be very much appreciated.

Hi Stephen,

the lever that operate the vent lid is situated just under the dash next to the h frame. As you say yours is converted from left to right and you don’t have this lever ,you may find you have the later RHD metal dash back which doesn’t have this lever,probably due to the scuttle vent being fitted with a plastic non opening cover.

Mark

I bought my car 20 years ago with the push rod connected to the vent lid operating lever (item 38 in the first Moss diagram ) missing. I've tried replacement push rods but the  spring (item 41) keeps bending them. Does the Moss replacement push rod work?

I don't use the car much in winter so it's no big deal to open the vent manually from outside with a plastic trim remover- my vent's spring would do justice to a bear trap.

10 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Roger

That's great thanks I'd spotted the rod in the first diagram, the second diagram is just what I was looking for. 

Very much appreciated

Cheers Stephen

1 hour ago, openroad said:

Morning Stephen, I can help you with part no.61633 if that is what is holding you back.

Cheers, 

Conrad. 

Hi Conrad

At the moment I'll need to pick up the rod and all the rest of the parts that fit inside the cabin. So pat 616333 is definately one I'll need and if you have one you'd can spare then that's great just ping me how much you'd like for it.

Cheers Stephen

8 hours ago, Mike C said:

I bought my car 20 years ago with the push rod connected to the vent lid operating lever (item 38 in the first Moss diagram ) missing. I've tried replacement push rods but the  spring (item 41) keeps bending them. Does the Moss replacement push rod work?

I don't use the car much in winter so it's no big deal to open the vent manually from outside with a plastic trim remover- my vent's spring would do justice to a bear trap.

Hi Mike. 

I can see what you mean about that spring when I try and open the lid from the outside it does feel like a very strong spring. At the moment I've removed the heater unit as I'm cleaning it up and try to fix the motor (I'm waiting on used one arriving in the post). I need to reinstate the rod and the lever. I'll let you know how I get on and if the rod works or not.

Cheers Stephen

Hi Mike/Stephen,

I went through this on my TR4 rebuild a couple of years back.

The Moss rod does work with the correct lever - my home made kevers created all sorts of chaos.

The spring isn't very strong. It is an over centre device. It pops open or closed and stays there but should be quite easy to move.

The hinges do go rusty and this will add to the stiffness.

Roger

Stephen,

As noted by Mark above your 1972 CC TR6 was originally fitted with the plastic vent, this appeared a year earlier on the US models, so you will also required the bracketry to support the rod and lever. You could fabricate these or as your TR has been converted to RHD then you might be lucky and have the earlier steel dash which will have them already fitted.

Derek

Thanks Stephen, I'm interested in seeing if the Moss push rod works with the TR6 set up. My vent lid closes like a rat trap - it will mangle your fingers if it snaps shut on them. I tried to fabricate  a push rod but getting the geometry right- fitting up through what's behind the dashboard plus keeping the rod deflection low enough to operate  the rat trap controllably- proved difficult.

I'd much prefer to one off the shelf or , if I have to,  keep operating the vent from outside with the car stationary.

Hi Guys

Many thanks for all the posts. I'm new to the TR register, TR ownership and this forum and I can see the forum is going to be a godsend. I'm not sure where the lever fits I assume to the H frame somewhere? If anyone has a picture of the levers position that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks 

Not the best pic

From an electrical point of view, I agree! 

Mangled single point crimping tool...............

Regards

Bill 

Hi Stephen,

it is best to start with the flap, make it work smooth over the entire opening.

If you have a new rubber seal (that sits below the lid), you will probably need to trim it (lower it), use the search function, there was a recent post about it.

Then install that spring to the lid and bulk head, and see if it holds the lid both closed and open.

Only then install the rod (there should be a small hole in the bulkhead, it could be yours doesn’t since you had that plastic lid.

The rod passes through that hole with a grommet to seal it, it is on the right hand side of the lid.

Waldi

4 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Stephen,

it is best to start with the flap, make it work smooth over the entire opening.

If you have a new rubber seal (that sits below the lid), you will probably need to trim it (lower it), use the search function, there was a recent post about it.

Then install that spring to the lid and bulk head, and see if it holds the lid both closed and open.

Only then install the rod (there should be a small hole in the bulkhead, it could be yours doesn’t since you had that plastic lid.

The rod passes through that hole with a grommet to seal it, it is on the right hand side of the lid.

Waldi

Hi Waldi

Thanks I had a look at the flap earlier the back edge is binding a little on the scuttle so I've removed it and I'll need adjust it so it operates smoothly. I do see a hole in the bulkhead that looks to be in the right spot. I'm going to lube up the hinges and get it to operate smoothly without binding then install in the rod.

Many thanks

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Funnily these little jobs can easily take me half a day or longer before you I’m satisfied

Enjoy it:)

Waldi

2 hours ago, Stephen H said:

Hi Waldi

Thanks I had a look at the flap earlier the back edge is binding a little on the scuttle so I've removed it and I'll need adjust it so it operates smoothly. I do see a hole in the bulkhead that looks to be in the right spot. I'm going to lube up the hinges and get it to operate smoothly without binding then install in the rod.

Many thanks

Stephen

The hole for the rod is here.

Stuart.

Vent flap rod hole 004.jpg

Hi Don't want to hijack this thread...I own a 71 CP UK TR6 and I never knew there was a rod. I've always opened my metal scuttle lid by hand externally...It opens and shuts ok this way and is on a spring

If I do have a rod where would I see it in the car...If I don't does it mean I just need the rod and will it be easy to fit with everything in situ?

.....Edit ...Sorry should have read the thread more thoroughly before my original post.....No sign of any lever on my car near the H frame...and I notice that the lever is not available at moss either

Edited by jogger321

Just a couple of notes from my own recent experience doing exactly this little project. From memory the operating rod has a curve at one end (I might have misremembered that). Adjusting the attachment of the rod to the lever to get a complete range of movement (i.e. fully open to nicely closed) is a fiddle, but well worth it. In fact it's now one of the most satisfying little operations on the car. Thirdly, it took me a while to figure out how the spring worked, and where the tabs that locate it on the scuttle were. Presumably those tabs are missing altogether on Cars etc but knowing BL they probably carried on fitting them if it was somebody's job. Finally, the whole lot looks incredibly rust-prone to me – my repro lid in particular seems to have made from a very rust-prone steel. So I've doused everything in treacly Dinitrol.

The flap going rusty is an everlasting issue.

I made a new lid and hinge from Stainless steel. The hinge is bonded (glued) to the lid using some expensive aerospace Araldite.

So far it has lasted apprx 15 years.

It is a tad shiny but the Sun/reflections  hasn't caused a problem yet

Roger

Edited by RogerH