tr3a I/D tags

Hello fellow tr3a owners. I will jump right in and ask if there is any way to find out the two missing I/D numbers on the centre of the bulkhead by the battery tray on my tr3a one being an EB prefix, unfortunately these where missing on my car probably due to it being striped for restoration by the previous owner and not coming with the car when purchased, i do have the TS vin number, engine number, and chassis Z number if that helps, Thanks

Greetings and Thanks Guys. If i can find just one of the numbers would be great two a real bonus, would a Heritage certificate help in any way?. I still have to contact the D.V.L.A in the hope i can keep the old registration, are there any pitfalls or advice on this matter, as it is a UK car i would like to get her back on the road and soon.  

1 hour ago, RoyM said:

Greetings and Thanks Guys. If i can find just one of the numbers would be great two a real bonus, would a Heritage certificate help in any way?. I still have to contact the D.V.L.A in the hope i can keep the old registration, are there any pitfalls or advice on this matter, as it is a UK car i would like to get her back on the road and soon.  

I couldn't get a Heritage certificate for my '2, but got a factory trace.

I also managed to keep he car's original registration number even though it hadn't been on the road for decades.

I think that the Club have a person who can help with the DVLA - contact the office to check.

Rog

If you have the registration number as originally issued to the car I suggest the following:

Try to find the registration Local e.g. as in ?WK being Coventry.

Go to the library/museum archives in the area as they sometimes have records from the local licensing office in their historical archives. Also in certain areas the Police had records of the registration numbers and the matching owners so they could ascertain if the driver had stolen it or was in fact the owner.

Coventry motor museum does have some records but you need to almost know the answer before you ask the question. Track down the curator speak very nicely to her and perhaps she could tell you what they do have.

Just some ideas that I have used to try to track down an early cars history.

Unfortunately in my case I was unable to find the owners from the get go just the continuation log book.

Rgds

Rod

13 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Welcome to  Our Forum Roy.

This might be one for Tr3/3A Registrar Mike Ellis.

give us a day or two.

John.

Thanks very much for the welcome, I look forward to any info you can give me. Sadly i am long overdue in joining a TR forum, i did go to a few local meetings but no one had a TR3A so we had very little in common, strangely not many are interested in restoring.

7 hours ago, Pogo said:

I couldn't get a Heritage certificate for my '2, but got a factory trace.

I also managed to keep he car's original registration number even though it hadn't been on the road for decades.

I think that the Club have a person who can help with the DVLA - contact the office to check.

Rog

Useful info thanks Roger

53 minutes ago, Bill.P. said:

What is the original reg number? Having recovered over 400 reg numbers for members over 26 years 1990-2016, I know what records are where....Bill Piggott

Hello Bill. Thanks for the reply the registration is 3154BT and vin number is TS 76008 'O'. I have the buff logbook to go with it i hope that helps. Roy. 

Hi Roy, 3154 BT is a number issued by the old East Riding of Yorkshire circa late 1960, which stacks up with your car's date. The old archive records for BT numbers DO still exist, and were held in Beverley, E Yorks, though they may now be at either York or Hull record offices.....however, you shouldn't need this as you have the old style logbook to rely on, and you will be able to retain the number provided the car is largely complete and in one piece and passes an inspection by the club's V765 officer, Graham Andrews, who took over the job from me. Good luck, Bill P.

Hello Bill. Thank you for the reply. just thought can you give me an idea how complete a car needs to be to get a V765 officers approval, i do have most of the major parts to complete the rebuild but unfortunately i do not have the cars original gear box, but did search around for a replacement that was quite close to the original gearbox TS number will this be a problem for me. I am also missing other odds and ends and will also be replacing parts not up to scratch. Another question do you have to present the car for inspection or do the V765 bods visit. I have no clue what to expect but i am sure it must make it easier to get DVLA approval with that added club approval. Roy

Edited by Guest
added questions