Seat belt anchor in B post

I'm in the early days of stripping my TR5 for a full body off restoration. 

Today I removed the seat belts, or at least I tried to!

The bolt which secures the fixed bottom belt end at the bottom of the B post on the drivers side was virtually solid. It refused to rotate and the surrounding metal felt very crumbly. My effort eventually resulted in literally tearing out a well corroded section of the inner face of the B post parent metal, approx. 2 1/2" square with a large welded captive nut on the back. The metal appeared to be double skinned at this point. Oh joy. I've not cut anything else away yet but the surrounding area looks reasonably sound.

The passenger side has also resisted me so far. The metal around it doesn't feel as crumbly and I have managed to rotate the bolt about 1 turn with a lot of effort but with a lot of scraping noise and the bolt doesn't appear to have loosened/withdrawn at all so I suspect I'm turning the now not so captive nut on the inside of the B post. Oh double joy.

Moss list repair parts 621328 LH (out of stock) and 621329 RH (in stock) but from what I can see on the website photos they just look like a slightly shaped single skin to replicate the surrounding area, not double skinned.

I will obviously have to remove metal around the area back to sound material to make repairs but can anyone advise if there is any secondary skin behind/inside the B post.

Dave McD

Thanks Stuart, you're informative as ever,

With the help of your photos I can now see how the parts shown on Moss website actually fit on car.

I've looked at a spare TR6 bodyshell that I have and it's all clear now. I've noticed that back part of the repair panel which turns round the base of the B post into the wheel arch before, but just thought it was a repair by a previous owner. I'll assess when I get body off chassis and take it from there.

Dave McD