Triple webber 40s were for sale

Hi all. A few months ago i promissed i would be selling a set of classic triple webbers of my tr6. I was going to sell the full setup for 400 pounds. Before i parked the car up i fou d they were not running well. I took the oppertunity to send them off for an overhaul and refurbishment. I am glad i did. Basically the message back was they were suprised they ran. It turns out the cost of parts and rebuild exceeds the value of buying a brand new set. Imagine if i had sold them. Someone would not have been happy. Needless to say there getting thrown in the bin now. 

So if you were the person i promissed the to, then i am sorry for that. But happy you did not end up with 3 book ends. 

Onwards now with the triple SU conversion. 

Thanks guys. 

rps20190812_200742.jpg

I had offered the 400 by PM, I only wanted the manifolds, never got any response so bought another manifold.

1 hour ago, iani said:

I had offered the 400 by PM, I only wanted the manifolds, never got any response so bought another manifold.

Ah. I never knew you just wanted the manifold. I wanted to sell the full kit in ine go. And after the prognosis from the carb doctor, i could not in any way sell them. Who knows. I may go out and buy a brand new set. We will see. 

1 hour ago, murrayarnold said:

Ah. I never knew you just wanted the manifold. I wanted to sell the full kit in ine go. And after the prognosis from the carb doctor, i could not in any way sell them. Who knows. I may go out and buy a brand new set. We will see. 

Theres no such thing as beyond repair for those, if you dont want them then put them up for sale again

Stuart

Regarding economical repair or not; it depends who is repairing them!

For someone that needs to send them away to be repaired professionally that can be the case.

For someone else that has the knowledge, the tools and the time a repair would be very well worth it. And anyway there are certainly a lot of parts that can be reused so what ever you do, don’t bin them. Those carbs are worth good money almost regardless of condition.

And if you still don’t want to sell I suggest to give them to someone that would be more than happy to get have a go at repairing them, I guess worn spindles are the most likely problem.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks
  • 4 months later...

Good day.

Well i must thank everyone for their interest in the webers. I was very surprised at the interest in them. So i left the carbs in portugal with no intentions of getting them fixed as mentioned. I was happy to sell them on for parts. As i was working in kuwait for the last 5 years and my car was garaged out of site i just forgot about my car and the carbs. Plus last year i left the forum for a reason i cant even remember. So anyway. Out of the blue, the guy contacted me. Wow, i had forgot at this point i owned the damn things. He said that as they were a set of classic carbs it would be a huge waste binning them and he wanted to repair them. So i ended up paying nearly 800 euro for a complete rebuild of the 3 of them. I have just today fitted them back on the car. I know i promissed to sell them and appologise for not. 

Thanks to all for support and wising me up to the classic carbs that i had. After all. Its our passion to repair and keep alive. Not give up and through in the bin. Life lesson for myself right there.  

20200206_155207.jpg

Edited by murrayarnold