Triumphtune rocker covers TR4a

19 hours ago, ianc said:

Chris - I notice that from your Racetorations rocker cover you have a tube running horizontally and then downwards towards the fuel pump.

Two questions:

1 - does the tube enter a catch tank, or does it vent towards the ground

2 - if to a catch tank, do you collect much oil in the tank.

I ask because it strikes me that a horizontal tube situated near the rear (lower part) of the engine might permit quite a lot of oil to find its way to the outside.

I

Ian

The exit port in the lower rear of the block doesn't vent directly into the crankcase. There is a vertical channel in the casting from roughly the bottom of the black casting to the level of the exit port so the oil mist has to travel 5-6 cm vertically before exiting the crankcase into the breather pipe. But even so, there is a fair amount of oil trying to get out as I found when I did't seal the exit pipe to the catch tank properly

Phil

Phil - I'm afraid you misunderstood my question to Chris.  He has fitted a Racetorations rocker cover, which vents to the left (see his photo on Page 1, above), whereas I have, in addition to the usual TR2/3/4 crankcase vent with its up then down tube (as you have described), a Moss rocker cover which vents to the right, at which point I have connected a rubber tube which goes over the top of the rocker cover, down past the fuel pump to finish alongside the normal crankcase vent.

Hence, I'm venting direct to atmosphere from the crankcase and from the rocker cover (actually, it's the engine which is venting - I vent in the usual human fashion, but don't tell my grandchildren!).

Ian Cornish