Bosch pump woes

13 hours ago, Waldi said:

Thanks Bruce,

I looked it up, the Bosch datasheet for this pump indicates it draws almost 9A @ 105 psi and delivers around 125 l/hr at this pressure. It is a good selection, and still draws less current than most other Bosch pumps for our cars.

Best regards,

Waldi

Edit: I have the 0580.464.126 pump (which replaced a leaking xx996 pump) which draws more amps, approx. 10A according to the datasheet, so the xx952 you have is the better option.

Hi Waldi,

The pump that I use was the one that Bosch eng. told me to use in 1985. Also I have measured the running current with a Fluke multi- meter and 6amps was what I got. I suspect that in this application it is under a very light load? I was told at the time that it was for diesel Mercs.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce.

The pump curves (flow-pressure-power) are generic. Variations between individual pumps exist, due to fabrication tolerances. Bosch shows a band of operating points.

So you probably have once with less internal losses. It could also be that the rated current is established at 12.0 V.

Best regards,

Waldi

Just to add some information from my experience;

I also have a  0580 464 126, as a spare,  it is listed as a Bosch replacement for my current pump,  a 0 580 254 909, which has been on the car for over twenty years.

On my TR6 the setup uses the Sytec glass filter which as said earlier, has an internal bore of a little over 5mm. This I.D. appears to be Identical for the 5/16 and 3/8 filter versions, the only difference I can find is the bore of the chrome ends.

Both sizes have the  same 4 x 3.2mm diameter holes drilled in each end to allow the fuel to pass out of the input end and through the filter into the output end. 

The threaded aluminium rod is 67mm long but not drilled all the way through,  its drilled 20mm from one end and 25mm from the other. 

I tried unsuccessfully to find flow rates for these filers.

This setup has worked fine, until last year when caviation occurred in temperatures of 40c whilst on tour in France .The fuel level was low probably 2-3gallons  and the fuel tank was almost too hot to touch., nearly 50c!

To my mind there is still a flow restriction from the small 5mm bore inlet and outlet of the filter. So I am thinking to change this glass pre-filler arrangement to a bullet filter to improve the fuel flow to the pump to overcome cavitation for these high temperatures. The other pipework to the pump and from the tank has larger bore sizes to match the pump and the Tank outlet is also larger at 8mm.

I would add there were 2 other injected triumphs (TR5s) on Tour and neither had any caviation troubles.

Mark

Sytec filer.jpg

8 hours ago, Mark V said:

On my TR6 the setup uses the Sytec glass filter which as said earlier, has an internal bore of a little over 5mm. This I.D. appears to be Identical for the 5/16 and 3/8 filter versions, the only difference I can find is the bore of the chrome ends.

I tried unsuccessfully to find flow rates for these filers

These filters were originally manufactured by CR PRO in the 70's thru the 80's in the USA as "performance" fuel filter replacements for carb engines.  Later CR PRO was marketed by US Purolator and production later was sent to Taiwan.   They are high quality for what they were engineered for.

These filters were never intended as an high volume pre-fuel injection pump filter.  But under the circumstances of an 5/16 fuel hose.. it's the only good option.

I'm amazed that the pump is not severely restricted or damaged by it.

811-201-511D is an example high volume pre pump filter.   It is mentioned elsewhere on this forum as KL##... I forgot the #

Well I use 2 of the above Glass Filters in the 3/8 version yes they are the earlier type as in Metal/Glass not Plastic I’ve also Drilled them out slightly to a larger diameter on the Inlet and Outlet also down through the Centre I’ve run mine since 2001 in this configuration and encounter no problems although I also run a small additional Holding Petrol Tank inside the Wheel-well and yes the Spare Wheel still fits.

The Bullet filter has a much larger inlet/outlet and leaves the option of a washable coarse mesh pre filter or a paper element.

I use the coarse mesh to protect the pump and have a Bosch equivalent post filter to deal with any tiny particles that might otherwise have got to the metering unit and beyond.

52 minutes ago, Mike C said:

Are the two glass filters in parallel? Each taking half the pump flow.

No Mike one is after the Tank Outlet and before the Holding Tank the other is between the Holding Tank and the Pump.

From memory I think I managed to Drill everything out to  7 or 7.5mm.