Evening all

After spending loads of time getting the gaps right I thought I'd check to see if the door lock mechanism and striker plates would work as they were stiff with 50 years of dried grease and muck. So after cleaning the striker plates and pins they looked good and the locks moved freely and were both fitted and adjusted so the doors would close so there was no "dive" at the rear door gap (old rubber door seals in place). 

But if I pull gently on the doors they "pop" out a few mm. Secure but I suspect they will rattle once she is running. I think the lock pawl is rotating over the pin and latching but is possibly worn wider and allowing the play in the door. I've tried to adjust it out with no success.

Any chance someone could measure the gap in their pawl for me to compare? Anyone got a solution/repair or is it a case of buying new if so from who.

Thanks all.

Andy

You maybe should wait until you get new door seals.  If the door has to compress the seals to latch, the seals will hold the latch against the pawl. I also found that by tweaking  the flange the seal mounts to, you have some adjustment available.

Ed

Are you sure its not jumping back to the first click position as its not gone all the way in to engage the second catch properly?

Stuart.

4 hours ago, stuart said:

Are you sure its not jumping back to the first click position as its not gone all the way in to engage the second catch properly?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

When I close the door it clicks and then clicks again after which the door will in/pull out about 2mm but will not open no matter how hard I pull the door. Opens only if I push the lock actuator inside the door.

Plan to fit some new seals and adjust the flanges to see what happens.

Andy 

Edited by PodOne
terminolgy

The “play” is caused by the lever and I think this is intended in the design. A spring allows the lever to move in one direction in the fully closed (2nd) position. The door is basically pushed out by the rubber door seal and this removed any play. Without the rubber the doors can rattle.

Waldi