Revington PRV Pressure Setting

Hi,

I am trying to adjust the fuel pressure on my TR6 Pi. I have a Bosch pump and Revington diaphram PRV. I cannot get the pressure below 125psi. Instructions that came with the PRV say screw in to increase pressure, screw out to reduce pressure - which does not make sense to me, should it be the other way round ?

I have the pressure gauge connected to a tee piece at the metering unit.

Ignition on (engine not started).

Wire to coil disconnected.

Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or has anyone else had similar problems.

Thanks.

Mark.

That is the correct way to adjust as screwing it in puts more pressure against the diaphragm to increase the pressure. FWIW depending on the pump you may find you need to alter the pressure down to around 95PSI as the Bosch shifts more than a Lucas and will overfuel if pressure is too high.

Stuart.

Thanks for the responses Stuart and Colin,

Just started the engine-

Initial pressure pulsing between 130 / 140.

Then dropped to 110 / 120 (without me doing anything)

Then pulsed between 60 / 120 (without me doing anything) 

Then the engine died, along with my enthusiasm.

So I guess it's the pump that's knackered ?

Cheers.

Mark.

Not necessarily Mark.

Did the pump make strange noises (cavitation) and is the battery voltage still ok? 

Could also be an issue with the PRV. Have you connected it the right way (sorry for asking).

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Not necessarily Mark.

Did the pump make strange noises (cavitation) and is the battery voltage still ok? 

Could also be an issue with the PRV. Have you connected it the right way (sorry for asking).

Waldi

Thanks for the response Waldi,

Battery is fully charged.

The pump is making whiring noises (pulsing).

Yes, the PRV is connected the right way.

I do have a pre filter, and a Bosch post filter fitted, will this filter (after the pump) be a problem?

Thanks.

Mark.

1 hour ago, AdrianH said:

I know it's an obvious question, but have you phoned RTR and asked them? It would be the first thing I did.

Hi Adrian,

Tried to phone Revington this afternoon, no answer.

Sent them an email, no response.

Thanks.

Mark.

18 minutes ago, Mark Ogram said:

Thanks for the response Waldi,

Battery is fully charged.

The pump is making whiring noises (pulsing).

Yes, the PRV is connected the right way.

I do have a pre filter, and a Bosch post filter fitted, will this filter (after the pump) be a problem?

Thanks.

Mark.

Take some Photos of the Set Up you have we may be able to spot a problem.

Hi Mark,

If the pump is running but making noise with fluctuating (discharge) pressure it could well be cavitation. Cavitation can in your case be a result of increased flow rate, which could be the result of reduced PRV pressure setting (which will increase flow rate) OR

if the PRV pressure is set too high, there will be no flow, the fuel in the pump warms up quickly, and this will result in the same cavitation.

Make sure the tank is more than half-full, pump is cold, start and measure discharge pressure. Reduce or increase PRV setting until the pressure is 105-110 psi. If this adjustment takes longer than say 2 mins, switch off the pump inbetween adjustments to avoid heating the fuel, which will accellerate cavitation.

Is your suction filter ok (not part-fouled)?

The discharge side filter does not influence cavitation, unless fully plugged.

Waldi

Photo attached of the PRV plumbing, is it right ?

Both the pre filter and post filter are new. The pump is getting hot. Tank is 1/4 full.

Thanks.

Mark.

IMG_0379.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark Ogram said:

Photo attached of the PRV plumbing, is it right ?

Both the pre filter and post filter are new. The pump is getting hot. Tank is 1/4 full.

Thanks.

Mark.

IMG_0379.jpg

Very hard to make anything from that Photo can you stand back a bit and include the Pump,Cheers.

4 hours ago, TR NIALL said:

Hi Mark did you get the Emails?

why have you 2 Earths running to Pump or are they both Earths?

Hi Niall, one is in the loom, the other is from the pump to the rear wheel arch.

Think I may have found the problem. I disconnected the return hose that runs from the PRV to the top of the fuel tank  I attached another hose to the pipe on top of the tank and tried to blow down it, no joy. I removed the metal pipe and union from the top of the tank and could blow through it.  From what I can make out, inside the tank, there is a tube that runs rearly to the bottom. I must have a blockage in that pipe. Has anyone ever come across this before ?

Cheers.

Mark.