Racing Swallow Doretti

I believe that amongst the brethren there is an expert on the Moss parts catalogue for whom I have an obscure question. On page 54 of the catalogue there is a picture of a period race meeting and in the background behind the 3 TRs appears to be a Swallow Doretti. As racing Dorettis are few and far between I am trying to find any details of that race meeting. Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Richard

Yep. Hidden away top left, maybe a '51 Cadillac? And a tin 'woody' station wagon on the right.

So, most likely an SCCA meeting . . . 

"In 1951, the SCCA National Sports Car Championship was formed from existing marquee events around the nation, including Watkins Glen, Pebble Beach, and Elkhart Lake. Many early SCCA events were held on disused air force bases, organised with the help of Air Force General Curtis LeMay, a renowned enthusiast of sports car racing. LeMay loaned out facilities of Strategic Air Command bases for the SCCA's use; the SCCA relied heavily on these venues during the early and mid-1950s during the transition from street racing to permanent circuits."

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers
YouTube

I'm sure Richard will follow up when he has a chance, but my friend Tom Householder in the US (a nut for al things Doretti for many decades) reports that Doretti is Clyde Robbins at Road America (Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, USA) in 1955.  Robbins was a dealer in Peoria, Illinois, USA who sold two Doretti cars.  The chassis in this image is 1080, and the car still exists in the US.  1060 was the other car he sold.

This is an amazing forum, not only the race meeting but the name of the driver and the chassis number. Had I been more observant and noticed the cars were lhd I would have contacted Tom Householder who is indeed a fount of Doretti knowledge and has been for many years. Thank you Tom and Don.

Cheers

Richar

On 9/19/2019 at 9:39 PM, Dic Doretti said:

I believe that amongst the brethren there is an expert on the Moss parts catalogue for whom I have an obscure question. On page 54 of the catalogue there is a picture of a period race meeting and in the background behind the 3 TRs appears to be a Swallow Doretti. As racing Dorettis are few and far between I am trying to find any details of that race meeting. Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Richard

Sorry Richard I have no knowledge of the photo source.  I had left Moss long before photos were added to the catalogue by their marketing people.

Cheers

Peter W

PS. These photos could well have come from Moss California 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT