Installing Rear Window into Metal Hardtop

Hi All,

I have searched and found many hardtop related files but little on installing the rear window. Hamish suggested (from his first hand experience) that the top be on the car to keep it from moving. He also suggests the seal be installed into the top, then the window be positioned at the bottom of the opening and carefully levering the rest of the seal over the window. That sounds good to me. Do others who have installed the hardtop rear window have any additional suggestions? What is the best way to fit the seal filler piece? A special tool for the filler was mentioned. Can it be installed without that special tool?

Thank you.

Dave

Hi Dave

i was lucky in the fact my Perspex window came out of my hardtop and the rubbers were good. 

This means the window fitted. In fact it’s very slightly small. 

I was fully prepared to fit the rubber to the window and use the thin rope method of fitting the rubber to the hardtop.

but after some “offering up” I did fit the rubber first and eased the window in sliding a plastic trim tool around the window easing the rubber on to it.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-assorted-pry-bar-set

this way I was able to ensure the rubber fitted the hardtop aperture properly and butted up tightly. 

I also used a small amount of sikaflex in the rubber grooves. 

Also a tip I learnt many years ago to help prevent leaks was to have the locking bead strip butt join opposing the main rubber butt join. So one at the top one at the bottom. 

And yes the tool to feed the locking strip into the groove with the roller is invaluable. I borrowed mine from a member here.

i also had to do this locking stop a couple of times at different tensions so it would butt neatly.

5937D57E-A260-4933-8007-B87C96F319C1.jpeg

C9175486-BB80-4A28-A62C-40B49D00E6F9.jpeg

5B71DEA4-6D47-411A-87B0-716247C674BE.jpeg

Hi Dave,

when doing a front glass  screen it is usual to use a length of string to pull the seal around the glass.

Fit length of string into the seal where the glass goes and have about 18 inches of it hanging out of the car.

place the screen into the bottom rubber channel and centralise.

Apply gentle pressure to the glass and start pulling the string out -guiding it around thew rubber/frame.

Apply soap/washing liquid to the rubber.

I would have thought the rear would have been similar.

Roger 

Edited by RogerH
1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Dave,

when doing a front glass  screen it is usual to use a length of string to pull the seal around the glass.

Fit length of string into the seal where the glass goes and have about 18 inches of it hanging out of the car.

place the screen into the bottom rubber channel and centralise.

Apply gentle pressure to the glass and start pulling the string out -guiding it around thew rubber/frame.

Apply soap/washing liquid to the rubber.

I would have thought the rear would have been similar.

Roger 

Funnily enough not on one of these, The way Hamish did it is the way I have done it too. The window keeps popping out in the opposite side every time you get one end in, they are difficult to do.

Stuart

Thanks All,

With my brother's help and using the Hamish method, we installed the rear window in about ten minutes. That was much easier than expected. However, after more than an hour, we could only install about 16 inches of the filler piece. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Dave are you using the tool. 

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/windscreen-installation-tool-set-mtr481101.html

should be do- able. 

This is the bit that I had to do a couple times to get it even. 

Washing up liquid helps. 

H

36 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Dave,

I have the same trouble with the front screen filler.

If the rear screen is anywhere near the same as the front then I use a large bladed screwdriver and a rubber hammer.

Use the blade, inserted into the groove, and twist to widen the gap. Gently tap the filler to push into the gap.  You should be able to do 1" at a time.

I can't get on with the special tool.

Roger 

Different filler strip Roger, the rear window one on the sidescreen cars is a rubber strip, your trying to insert a plastic one thats "T" shaped. They need to be fitted into the rubber once its fitted round the glass and before fitting to the car. The tool will damage the plastic finisher as its not designed to be used for that application.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi dave

i used the smaller diamond shape tip and the roller

http://www.gunson.co.uk/product/77136

The tip spreads the screen frame rubber groove to allow the rubber/plastic locking trim to lay in the groove the roller pressed it home as you slide it around. This can be done a few times to get the best fit if it doesn’t work out for you first time  it didn’t for me !!

In the picture attch’d from the web site it is being pushed left to right. 

You don’t want to stretch the rubber insert to make it thinner and easier to fit as over time it will relax and shorten then you’ll have a gap where you have the butting join. 

As I mentioned earlier. Ensure you have the screen rubber join opposite to the locking rubber join. If they are “neatly” in the same place it will just pull apart. 

It’s easier than I make it sound !!:rolleyes:

121AF732-1CBC-4D96-8852-16282BF04A85.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Success! The tool works very well. I did have a problem initially because I pushed down too hard and had to develop a technique. It took a bit of time to get back to the starting point (I pushed the main seal until it released from both the top and the window) but with care, all went well.

Thanks all.

Dave