Rear deck screwed bushes for soft top

Hi

not needing to sort yet but i remember in the eighties i fitted a surrey top and drilled the bushes out to suit the surrey studs (as you do when young)

however i seem to remember these being a ally / white metal stuff 

Question can they be replaced easily seen they are a rivnut in the  moss on line catalogue ?

cheers david

Edited by dblenk

Helicoil or Timesert insert or even make your own insert up you can screw in with the correct outside (what you drilled it out to) thread and whatever thread you want for the inside ?

Mick Richards 

2 minutes ago, dblenk said:

yeah was thinking of making a threaded bush  and loctiting them in

david

May not stand the torque of being untightened, if you can use a Timesert thread form they have side inserts which press into place and lock the thread within it's hole. Check out the site and see what you think.

Mick Richards

Are you going to refit the Surrey if so you wont need to replace, if your going with a soft top then I would just replace with Rivnuts.

Stuart.

I had to google the Timeserts mentioned above. Thanks for sharing this Mick, you you have a preference for either helicoils or time serts?

Best regards,

Waldi

Hi Waldo,

I’ve never yet needed the Timeserts but seen a couple of TR4a Trailing arms fitted with them where the 6 hub studs had broken through the extreme sidewalls of the stud blocks. The cast blocks were famously positioned by a 3 month in service apprentice...( who was drunk !), so not unusual to see the studs barely positioned correctly and breaking through if a larger thread is used. 

The Timeserts are integral units not like Helicoils so a little more robust if part of the outside thread is compromised.

Mick Richards

Thanks Mick.

I gave it some more thought, during a cup of tea. Yes, we drink that too:)

I think the Timeserts will exert more force on a thin walled casting (like the TA) than a heli-coil, because the bottom end is plastically deformed during installation. The result is additional local tensile stresses in the casting.

A heli-coil would not do that, so may be better suited for thin walled/aluminium based applications.

Best regards,

Waldi

23 hours ago, dblenk said:

Hi

not needing to sort yet but i remember in the eighties i fitted a surrey top and drilled the bushes out to suit the surrey studs (as you do when young)

Question can they be replaced easily seen they are a rivnut in the  moss on line catalogue ?

cheers david

Yes they were originally aluminium rivnuts. I had a devil of a job job sourcing them.  Use 6 mm and re-tap

Buying them is easy.  https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/m6-flat-aluminium-rivnuts-pack-of-ten-10

fitting them may challenge without the setting tool. 

Cheers

Peter W

ps where are you?  I do have a setting tool.

23 hours ago, dblenk said:

Hi

cheers david