TR4 Tyre choice and neg camber advice

David

to be honest I only went with the 185’s as that’s what was on it when I bought it in 2016 and it had tr6 wheels with hub cap posts. 

I have since found some alloys on eBay ie cheap, that allowed me to have road and racing tyres. The racing tyres are considerably cheaper than the road ones.

but I did find the sprint classics when I was looking for tyres for my previous classic a Daimler sp250 and despite it being a V8 I stuck with the 165 profile and the car was great fun and very stable. So I’m not always over tyre-ing  my car. !!!

AEBB5520-845E-4711-A443-A8692D3AFD21.jpeg

0A45E84F-4365-451D-A897-3DA4AD9AB1F1.jpeg

041DDCD3-1F05-4128-94E3-8E9C71B308DB.jpeg

13 hours ago, Hamish said:

David

to be honest I only went with the 185’s as that’s what was on it when I bought it in 2016 and it had tr6 wheels with hub cap posts. 

I have since found some alloys on eBay ie cheap, that allowed me to have road and racing tyres. The racing tyres are considerably cheaper than the road ones.

but I did find the sprint classics when I was looking for tyres for my previous classic a Daimler sp250 and despite it being a V8 I stuck with the 165 profile and the car was great fun and very stable. So I’m not always over tyre-ing  my car. !!!

AEBB5520-845E-4711-A443-A8692D3AFD21.jpeg

0A45E84F-4365-451D-A897-3DA4AD9AB1F1.jpeg

041DDCD3-1F05-4128-94E3-8E9C71B308DB.jpeg

Thanks Hamish! Nice to see your Dart at last. Looks terrific. Interesting to shift from Dart to TR. I've always seen them as related, along with Peerless. Italia less so.

To go back on topic, after further consultation, and much nail biting - am I doing the right thing? Or should I stick with what I know? I decided to take a leap and opt for Vredestein 175s. Surely lighter feel, remembering to engage engine as steering, and stability bonus. They look the part. I don't understand about "aspect ratios". How some tyres in the Vredestein range have a "0" in middle column others 70. There's a 185 with a "0" and one with a "70" in middle column. Low or high profile? My ignorance preecedes me.

https://www.vredestein.com/classic/tyre-finder/tyres/product/3/990-sprint-classic#specification

Try this

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator

In effect as soon as you change the rolling circumference via the profile of the tyre you change the accuracy of your speedo, having  an effected on overall gear ratio.

Often referred to as the profile or series, the aspect ratio of a tire is determined by dividing a tire's section height by its section width when the tire is: inflated to maximum air pressure, mounted on the approved measuring rim, and under no load. "Quote Tokohama"

I  use 165/80 Vredestein Snow Trac in the Winter , Vredestein T-Trac 2 in the summer. I cant tell the difference between them in their respective seasons. However they both perform very differently out of the "design" season.

Iain

Edited by iain
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested I still have 5 x Avon ZT5 175/65 r15 tyres that were fitted to my 4 when I bought it. Only done about 1000 miles and one has only done about 2 miles!

Andy

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_afaf.jpg

0VY2ZXJNQfaIJaMjkFiuvw_thumb_afae.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ae2e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ae2f.jpg

Just wondering as a matter of interest, how old are they? What decided you not to use them? And cost? Thanks, David

Edited by David Brancaleone
4 hours ago, David Brancaleone said:

Just wondering as a matter of interest, how old are they? What decided you not to use them? And cost? Thanks, David

Can't be sure of date. I have an invoice for 2016 which I believe covers these. My speedo was reading incorrectly and I thought that 165/80/15's would solve that issue (it hasn't).

Also I had a problem locally with my front ARB drop links catching on speed humps. I've since removed the ARB so  - no issue now!

Additionally the wishbones had been modified for increased negative camber. These have also been replaced.

I'm looking at £125 (£25 each)

1 hour ago, Ocheye said:

Can't be sure of date. I have an invoice for 2016 which I believe covers these. My speedo was reading incorrectly and I thought that 165/80/15's would solve that issue (it hasn't).

Also I had a problem locally with my front ARB drop links catching on speed humps. I've since removed the ARB so  - no issue now!

Additionally the wishbones had been modified for increased negative camber. These have also been replaced.

I'm looking at £125 (£25 each)

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I think that is a very fair price. I'll continue this conversation privately, if that is alright. Will be in touch asap by PM. Best, David

On 3/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, Hamish said:

David

On my 3a I have 185/70x15 vredestiens sprint classics for the road along with a steering box and the steering is only heavy if you try steering without moving. I think that changing the steering orientation whilst stationary causes undue stresses and rarely needed.

they are great in the dry and the wet. 

Collected 4 X early TR6 wheels with195/60 tyres on from Conrad yesterday.

Today did a trial fit on my '3 to see how they looked, & more importantly, how they felt when driving. The tyres are old, & will be replaced, but still not sure what to replace with. Choices are move the 165/80 tyres from my existing wheels (4½J) or buy some 185/70 Sprint Classics.

I was expecting the steering to be really heavy with the 195's but was most surprised to find not so, even parking they seemed no worse than my 165's 

So, I erring towards the 185's now.  I like the look of the wider wheels/tyres, they fill the wheel arch much better than the original.

Bob.                                       20200317_164518.thumb.jpg.1f4bb7a95e977f5b7c93aa2977b37d8e.jpg

53 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Collected 4 X early TR6 wheels with195/60 tyres on from Conrad yesterday.

Today did a trial fit on my '3 to see how they looked, & more importantly, how they felt when driving. The tyres are old, & will be replaced, but still not sure what to replace with. Choices are move the 165/80 tyres from my existing wheels (4½J) or buy some 185/70 Sprint Classics.

I was expecting the steering to be really heavy with the 195's but was most surprised to find not so, even parking they seemed no worse than my 165's 

So, I erring towards the 185's now.  I like the look of the wider wheels/tyres, they fill the wheel arch much better than the original.

Bob.                                       20200317_164518.thumb.jpg.1f4bb7a95e977f5b7c93aa2977b37d8e.jpg

I'm getting 175s in the end. 185s Yokohamas felt really heavy  maybe I have forgotten that you have to move before turning steering wheel. 175s are a compromise. I also think wider tyres look nice in the wheel arches. Well, much nicer.