Mc reservoir weep

Hi guys.

On my Taimar I found evidence of a leak between the master cylinder and the brake reservoir...

The MC has been on my car maybe 3 years at most and bought from ebay from a Tr guy who had it with original receipt at 4 years old then. Still sealed... and the MC was already attached go the reservoir. 

Fast forward to now... I had a sticking caliper... so ordered new pistons (stainless ones and rebuild seal kit) and also a seal kit to replace only the 2 seals between MC and reservoir. 

The mating faces were corroded... so I cleaned up, protected with a smear of RRG and new seals fitted.

Done all the work and....... something isn't right.. as if air always in the brakes.

Went for a drive to bed in the new pads and when home the weep between MC and reservoir is now worse than before.

Also found fluid all over the outer of the servo and reservoir lid.. but level looked fine. 

Ordered a new MC from Rimmers (mainly for warranty if anything goes wrong!) 

After some research it appears I have a dodgy MC as others have had the same problem.

Before overhauling the calipers and seals between MC and reservoir the brakes were fine. 

My dad has helped me to readjust the rear shoes and drums which helped a little but the brake pedal travel is excessive and pumping seems to help a tiny bit. 

Anyone else had these problems of now a year? 

Most posts are around 2016 ish that I've found 

Just for info, new servo was fitted beginning of this month and again, brakes were fine (even at Blyton!)

20190910_144248.jpg

20190916_165202.jpg

Edited by white_wolf
Small additional details

One can argue if the leakage has resulted in the corrosion or that the corrosion has resulted in the leakage (the corrosion would creep under the seals and then create a leak path.

It could well be the leakage (just minor sweating) was first, then leading to corrosion and then more progressed leakage but am sure someone has investigated the real issue. Anyone?

Waldi

Hi WW,

regarding the apparent air in brakes. Do you think this because of the longer/spongy pedal travel.

have a look here 

The only thing I have not tried yet assembling the seals with Red Grease.  Mine are pretty good having dumped the TRW seals and gone for expensive 'racing' seals.

Roger

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi WW,

regarding the apparent air in brakes. Do you think this because of the longer/spongy pedal travel.

have a look here 

The only thing I have not tried yet assembling the seals with Red Grease.  Mine are pretty good having dumped the TRW seals and gone for expensive 'racing' seals.

Roger

Interesting Roger.

I bought my new pistons and seal kit from Rimmers.

The seals I removed from the calipers (that I had fitted 5 years ago) had yellow yellow white Mark's I think....

The new seal kit didnt have any colourings at all. I did dry fit the pistons without seals then fitted seals with brake fluid and a touch of RRG.

In both calipers the first pistons went in fantastic and the second piston in both calipers was a little struggle... I opened the bleed nipple in end and then pistons went in.

Having viewed the pistons working... they appear fine... but yes, my original post is based on the long pedal travel.

The travel was fine pre MC/reservoir reseal. However I cant rule out new seal in calipers as I did these also at same time. 

New MC arriving tomorrow... I have spare copper pipe and unions and flare kit so will bench bleed on the car then just swap pipes to cars brakes. (I didnt do this 4 years ago... just fitted and bled.... ALOT! 

Wiped the weep today and within seconds its returned. 

Hoping a new MC will fix it all. 

Hi Roger.

I'll fit the new MC anyway as a leaking isn't going to help... then I'll go from there.

Fitted underlay and carpet to garage today and a clear out.

I've kept the old seals but binned the old pistons and dust seals. 

So will give the brakes held down a whirl and if not then I'll try old seals.

Many thanks, 

I'll report back how things go.

:)

Good afternoon,

New MC arried today.

My idea of making bench bleed pipes failed when I realised I didnt have spare unions in the correct size.

Tried bleeding into a bowl... so filled up reservoir and it started to leak out the pipe holes.. bolted in vice and pushed brake plunger part and squirted brake fluid all along the worktop and wall.

Anyway, fitted to car, bleed up using tube and bottle annnnnndddd...

They seem back to normal!

Odd occasion a second pump feels better.

I'll re bleed it again in a few days and or after some use but a definite improvement.

What I did see was a small amount of fluid where the MC and servo mates.

Ended up removing servo to realise the rubber seal pops off and a fell metal wall behind it. Tiny amount. 

Cleaned up and refitted. 

Used RRG purely to coat naked surfaces 

20190918_112659.jpg

2 minutes ago, matt george said:

My master cylinder was leaking at the join with the reservoir, nearest to the bulkhead. Solved it by replacing with a new rubber O-ring for a proper seal.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I've already done that and lasted 4 days.

The weep was worst than before... 

Plus with my brake problem so just replaced it. 

I still have the unit.. maybe spares perhaps... 

If they still have a bit of air in then pump the brakes up hard as you can and jam the pedal down overnight.

Stuart.

So...

Held the brakes on for 24 hours and still have a travel problem.

Decided to pull My space genuine girlings out and rebuild using the new seals and stainless steel pistons.

A little cleaning up, RRG and fresh fluid.

All went well.

Removed old bleed nipples and fitted my new ones finger tight.

Bolted onto the car and connected lines up.

Fitted pads, pressed brakes and hey presto!!! 

So decided to bleed up and... the bleed nipple threads are naffed. And wouldn't seal. 

Also my calipers that were on show strange wear on the drivers outer pad again  - pic attached.

So given in and ordered new calipers from Rimmers. However, they have superseded the 16pb for 16p.

Will arrive tomorrow and will fit. 

Hopefully this will solve all my problems..  the servo is new, MC new, calipers new and rear end all adjusted and looks fine.

Only thing left is the PDWA and brake lines. 

Ihave though of splitting the girling and the other caliper I have (non genuine) and I could make a good one from the pair (and possibly if other side a problem also then a good pair) but ihave no idea in the mating faces seals are same or even if will bolt up correctly being genuine and non genuine.. this was my reason to just replace with new. 

I'm happy working so far on calipers but always have the mind set they are my last saving grace. And not to scrimp or mess too much. 

20190923_170632.jpg

Good question... 

No. They're just fitted butt flush to the carrier. 

I've had the car nearly 10 years and always been this way.

I have however in the last 2 months fitted new vertical upright and trunnions. But again, brakes were fine until I "tried to fix" the MC to reservoir leak. 

Are the shims anything special? Also a way to measure exactly a shim size I need?

3 minutes ago, white_wolf said:

Good question... 

No. They're just fitted butt flush to the carrier. 

I've had the car nearly 10 years and always been this way.

I have however in the last 2 months fitted new vertical upright and trunnions. But again, brakes were fine until I "tried to fix" the MC to reservoir leak. 

Are the shims anything special? Also a way to measure exactly a shim size I need?

Item 7 

Yes they are needed to get central snap off to get it right  https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID600152

Hi

That is irrelevant if not fitted the aim is to get the caliper inline with the disc or as you have found out uneven contact , also the brake fluid can pump back and forth giving other problems, trust me you are not alone to leave them out seen it many times.;) 

Regarding the shims for the calipers: I do not see how they affect proper working of the brakes.

If the caliper is a bit more to “one side”, the pistons wil compensate for that, one piston will move a bit further and that’s it.

The shims do not correct if the caliper /pistons/pads is not parallel to the disk, that is an entirely different issue.

So my guess is they are just to compensate for fabrication tolerances of all all comonents involved, which are several. So that the disc is in the middle of the caliper, more or less.

Note there is no mention of them in the WSM.

Or am I missing something?

Waldi

Hi guys.

New calipers arrived and fitted.

The calipers are slightly to one side more then over when compared to the disk.. but seem fine. 

Equally I misunderstood the spacer shim than an alignment shim. Was looking and could only see it (if fitted between caliper and carrier) move the caliper further in board and so the caliper would then rub the disk.

Although the calipers from Rimmers are sold as 16P calipers, they do indeed have 16PB pistons and dust covers.

I havent driven the car yet but upon bleeding the brakes, they feel normal again.

I did consider putting the SS pistons into the new calipers but upon removal both piston seals in 1 caliper damaged and a piece fallen out. 

Maybe a unseen problem along with the bleed nipple threads. 

Anyway... hoping for dey weather to go for a spin and report back.

Thanks guys for your help and input so far. :)