Help needed in France

Hi all,

This is a bit of a long stretch to see if there’s anyone out there that can help.

We’re in Montpellier France and my rear axle UJ has just about self destructed. I’ve found a garage that’s happy to do the work changing it but I need the part. It’s the one bolted to the diff. 

Our problem is we are only supposed to be here two days and then have a long drive to Spain as part of an ongoing road trip.

Does anyone have any leads / mates or knowledge of where I could possibly pick up a replacement UJ here ? 

The garage said he’ll look at it tomorrow and ‘might’ be able to get the part but I’m just trying to cover all options in case he says he can’t.

Thanks in anticipation 

Andy

1 hour ago, TR4 AJJ said:

Hi all,

This is a bit of a long stretch to see if there’s anyone out there that can help.

We’re in Montpellier France and my rear axle UJ has just about self destructed. I’ve found a garage that’s happy to do the work changing it but I need the part. It’s the one bolted to the diff. 

Our problem is we are only supposed to be here two days and then have a long drive to Spain as part of an ongoing road trip.

Does anyone have any leads / mates or knowledge of where I could possibly pick up a replacement UJ here ? 

The garage said he’ll look at it tomorrow and ‘might’ be able to get the part but I’m just trying to cover all options in case he says he can’t.

Thanks in anticipation 

Andy

If you contact Moss they may be able to courier a part out.

Look here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/axles-differentials

giver them as much info as possible.

Roger

2 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Is your's a standard drive shaft?

Is it the same as a Land Rover one which may be available in France?

If you can get to Spain I have a spare in the boot assuming you are heading to Pamplona for the European meeting.

Hi

Yes it’s the standard one and a Land Rover unit would be perfect. I’m hoping the mechanic will realise this when he takes a look tomorrow and the drama will be over. He was saying that it would be a triumph one and only available in UK. There was a language issue as we have some French but he had zero English and some terms we struggled with. 

Thanks for the offer but we are heading up the Pyrenees next to Bagneres de Luchon (still France I think), then Zaragoza and on to Victoria. I need to get it repaired before we take on the mountains again.

We’re not attending the European meeting... I hadn’t realised there was one to be honest. 

Thanks

59 minutes ago, RogerH said:

If you contact Moss they may be able to courier a part out.

Look here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/axles-differentials

giver them as much info as possible.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I called the uk Moss and they said it would take a few days and suggested I spoke to Paris Moss. They weren’t answering the phone. 

I’ll see what the mechanic thinks once he’s seen it and hopefully realised they’re not such a rare UJ. Hopefully then he can source one locally. I’ll be with him first thing so it’ll give me time to search elsewhere if he can’t find one.

Aj 

Aj

some dealers near montpelier: 

maybe it helps 

Marcel.

PRESTIGE AUTOMOBILE : Concessionnaire LAND ROVER ...

https://pros.lacentrale.fr/C041362/

Voir les véhicules d'occasion à MONTPELLIER chez PRESTIGE AUTOMOBILE - Un large choix de véhicules disponibles.

Jaguar Land Rover Montpellier - Béziers- Nîmes - Rodez - Valence

https://www.groupe-grim.com/jaguar-land-rover/

Concessionnaire Jaguar Land Rover Montpellier - Jaguar Land Rover Béziers- Jaguar Land Rover Nîmes - Jaguar Land Rover Rodez - Jaguar Land Rover ...

Land-Rover occasion à Montpellier (34000) : annonces achat, vente ...

https://www.paruvendu.fr/a/voiture-occasion/land-rover/montpellier/

Trouvez votre Land-Rover d'occasion à Montpellier (34000) parmi nos 27 annonces gratuites de véhicules de particuliers et pros sur ParuVendu.fr.

Land rover occasion Montpellier et du 34 - Auto-selection.com

https://www.auto-selection.com/voiture-occasion/land-rover-montpellier.html

Land rover Montpellier : acheter une voiture Land rover occasion à Montpellier et dans le 34, mise en vente sur Auto Sélection.

Edited by Quicksilver

Thanks Marcel,

I had already found one those links this evening but thanks for the others. I think I need to work out the Land Rover part number before I can call them.

I have the Moss Part number but that comes up as a triumph part. I assume it’s a different number. I’ll keep on searching ..

AJ

Thanks guys.

I now have enough info / part number to go to the garage tomorrow. Hopefully, he’ll see it’s a common part and it’ll be sourced and completed tomorrow.

I have an address for the local Land Rover dealer too that has a service department.  There’s a good chance I can collect one from there. If not, I’m sure they’ll be able to direct me to a local supplier. 

Fingers are crossed. 

I have a feeling that whoever made UJs in the 50’s and 60’s (Hardy Spicer?) only made about 3 sizes and these were used on all the UK cars of the era. If the LR is the wrong size it may be worth a hunt for suppliers of other British manufactures parts of the time.

Charlie.

Despite all efforts, we’ve not been able to source the UJ locally and neither could the garage.

MOSS Paris didn’t answer the phone or reply to emails ... neither did the TR Register France 

However, Moss UK and Rimmers UK are both sending a set out today for delivery direct to Garage tomorrow (they hope). Both very helpful ... let’s see if either one arrives - worse case, were here one more day .... there’s a lot worse places to be !

Aj

18 hours ago, TR4 AJJ said:

There was a language issue as we have some French but he had zero English and some terms we struggled with.

Hi Andy,

If you're kicking your heals waiting on parts, and you have an iPhone or smartphone with you, it might be worth downloading the Google Translate App. 

Conversations (with your mechanic for example) can then be translated aloud, instantly.

It's also pretty useful for translating road signs, menus, or any other written words, by simply pointing your camera at the text.

Eh voila! A foreign language interpreter in your glovebox. :)

(As mentioned above, it's a good idea to download a specific language package for use offline, to save on data roaming fees whilst abroad).

Good luck!

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

Hi Andy

Have you looked at Charlies post above. It seems lots of Volvos use this part number 383472 or part number  38403. There is a Volvo garage in Montpellier - just google "garage volvo montpellier" and it is on Rue Charles Lindeberg open until 7pm tonight tel +33 467 20 99 20

Good luck

Keith

41 minutes ago, TR4 AJJ said:

Despite all efforts, we’ve not been able to source the UJ locally and neither could the garage.

MOSS Paris didn’t answer the phone or reply to emails ... neither did the TR Register France 

However, Moss UK and Rimmers UK are both sending a set out today for delivery direct to Garage tomorrow (they hope). Both very helpful ... let’s see if either one arrives - worse case, were here one more day .... there’s a lot worse places to be !

Aj

A glas of french red wine could help to slow down...

3 hours ago, Z320 said:

A glas of french red wine could help to slow down...

Well a dip in The Med and a beer on the beach was just the ticket .... let’s see what tomorrow brings .... which supplier will win ..

BA3EA283-C3D0-4626-AB4E-068204C0716F.jpeg

As said there are worst places to break down. If it were me I would hope the part lands in a couple of days time. Enjoy

Similar experience with Moss Paris and French TR Groupe a few years ago. At least you can count on the uk suppliers. Enjoy the wine and hopefully car will  sorted soon and can get back to enjoying the  french roads 

I remember someone at moss telling me that some Peugeots use the same uhd. Sorry but I cannot recall which ones.

A similar thing happened at CLM a few years ago, the hydraulic brake switch failed on the 3A so ordered one from Moss London and had it delivered to our homeward bound hotel a few days later. Tick VG for Russell at Moss!

Good luck, hope it gets sorted soon.

Chees, Andrew