23 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

A blast from the past ~

Here's Owen Wyn Owen who was a tutor in our Technical College with me standing next to him in the 1950's.

We were apprentice mechanics studying for our City and Guilds certificates.

Tom.

dimg022 - Copy.jpg

His son Geraint is an academic in Univ Bath, an engineer and stalwart of VSCC.

Peter

5 hours ago, Fireman049 said:

Thank you for that Peter. I never had the pleasure of meeting Geraint. I wonder if he still owns "Haulfryn"?

He used to run the Motor Museum in Betws-y-Coed. I wonder if he still does?

Best regards ~

Tom.

Screenshot 2019-09-17 17.31.34 - Copy.png

Hi Tom, I think Babs is kept in the seafront museum at Pendine. Geraint races a Bugatti etc at VSCC events but I havent seen him at either Loton or Oulton th last few years. Peter

55 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

Hi Peter ~

Yes you're right. It was an effort to get behind the wheel. There was a small switch at the base of the steering wheel which you turned and that

allowed the steering wheel to tilt back to a horizontal position which helped you get into the car.

Tom.

I would still need a winch and a bit of jiggling to get out Tom

Don't get me wrong, I would like to be the one to garage it.

John

Hi Tom,

the car in Monaco, was that the Nina Ricci roadster?

I’ve seen that one here locally, it came from a museum in the Monaco area where it was for years.

Waldi

That Dutch machine wouldn't cope with any of the speed bumps in and around Thame, so quite impractical other than on a racecourse.

Lots of delectable - and practical - vehicles at Kop Hill today.

Ian Cornish

40 minutes ago, ianc said:

That Dutch machine wouldn't cope with any of the speed bumps in and around Thame, so quite impractical other than on a racecourse.

Lots of delectable - and practical - vehicles at Kop Hill today.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian

Not many roads left anywhere for the GT40 :(

12 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Mmm I think my ideal sports car would be a modern 2 seater like this Dutch hand built beauty

421941.jpg

Here is a link:

https://www.donkervoort.com/en/cars/donkervoort-d8-gto/

Waldi

1 hour ago, Fireman049 said:

I think I've narrowed it down to the 1922 'Swiftmobile' which has adequate ground clearance for speed bumps and will run on a petrol/paraffin mixture.

The sump is filled with 3 in 1 oil. 

Tom.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

MCAS0003 - Copy - Copy.jpg

School for scoundrels

loved that film and others from that era of British comedy film making

I think Waldi is on my level and the  Donkervoort D8 GTO Mr Cornish is a road and track car. How many country roads.,or motorways actually have speed humps Mr Cornish because with your statement your ruling out many many fine sports cars like Lotus cars or the Vauxhall VX220 remember that one?? Drive over a speed hump slowly and low cars are fine not forgetting that modern low cars actually have adaptive suspension where you can raise the height of the car. Not everything modern on cars is great I know but living in the past is not the way forward which is why car manufacturers have to modernise. Yes its nice to remember for nostalgia sake which is why we on here have these old very very basic TR6 which were out of date and cheap to buy when new. 

Here's a quote from Donkervoorts website:

With a power-to-weight ratio of less than two, it is one of the fastest street-legal cars in the world. Boasting a power rating of 340 to 380 hp and 450 Nm of torque starting at around 1600 rpm. Significantly larger than its predecessors, yet – at around 700 kg – hardly heavier and surprisingly easy to drive.

"these old very very basic TR6 which were out of date and cheap to buy when new."  

Damn...now my memory is going too,... I didn't think they were. Certainly affordable and the public liked them and the image they gave and bought them in numbers more than many other sports cars offered, then again you COULD drive them over road humps on B roads and A roads and quickly too, which is where they mostly lived. 

Motorways are boring with no curves and country roads too dangerous with tractors and ***t from animals over them, I guess the nose from the Donkervoort might do a job of scraping that up, although affording nearly £135,000 GBP would make you a little precious about risking it, unlike a cheapo TR6.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

The Donkervoort is the advanced version of the Lotus 7 versions, it had an aluminium glued structure several decades ago. The “entry level” second hands start at 25-30 kEuro over here, this is still a very quick car. 160 hp and 710 kg and a very low center of gravity say it all.

Waldi