Hi Tom,

I would try to sneak one of these under my 4A bonnet

high compression version (6.1:1) (RAF specification) of the naturally aspirated Napier Lion, a W12 of 23.944 litres (1,461 cu in) capacity, producing 580 brake horse power at 2585 revolutions per minute 

I wouldn;t drive it anywhere - I would sit in it and listen.

Roger

The Triumph 6-cylinder fed by a pair of SUs and mounted in a TR4, is a very nice combination, as one of the members of the North London Group knows, as he has owned such a car for many years.

No need to worry about front & rear suspension and drive shafts falling apart and the diff dropping out.  Car starts immediately and is beautifully smooth.

I believe the engine of the 6 is slightly lighter than the 4 - a bonus!

Ian Cornish

Good thread Tom...

I was still a teenager (couple of years ago now?) when I had my first 4, I thought it was brilliant from almost every angle but, always wanted to ‘bolt on the 6 rear end’..... Won’t do it now obviously and even at the time think I was in a minority of 1?

Mechanically: Even after lots of years and quite a few other cars, including ‘exotics’, I still think the sidescreens are so well balanced as they came off the production line; eg, engine is about right for the handling, brakes etc ............ There’s a great quote on the Lotus Elan forum (John is not the only guilty party - I loved mt Elan when it was on song) “Don’t pay GBP X for a tatty elan when you could have a TR3A.... Handling is overrated anyway”............ 

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tom,

high compression version (6.1:1) (RAF specification) of the naturally aspirated Napier Lion, a W12 of 23.944 litres (1,461 cu in) capacity, producing 580 brake horse power at 2585 revolutions per minute 

Roger

Here you go Roger. Stick this merlin in the garage and listen to it whilst you ponder a project car for it. 

https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/118/lot/45846/?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F118%2F

1 minute ago, RogerH said:

Hamish,

that thing hasn't got a steering wheel  !!!!!

Roger

Yet !!!!

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tom,

Roger

Rather like this, Roger?

TR5 looks, 6 pot, supercharged. But not IRS. Preferably parallet trailing arms and Panhard rod with solid axle, or  a de Dion arrangement. I suppose a blown TR250 comes closest.

Peter

On 9/16/2019 at 5:20 PM, Fireman049 said:

My ideal classic TR would be a TR6 but fitted with TR4A engine and gearbox/overdrive. I'm afraid that I couldn't be doing with the six cylinder engine and PI system.

Just a thought ~ 

Tom.

Tom

Believe me, when you have a guy who understands the PI system and sets it up properly, it is 1st class

The late great Clive Manvers and his team fixed my unreliable gear change and cold start / cold running issues

I drove a different car away from Emsworth.

Yes, I was £1000 down, but, never a problem from that point on.

John