TR7 Headlight On when down and Off when up

Hi

This is my first post / request for help.

I have just had new headlight motors fitted and the lights went up and down as expected. However, the passenger side did not raise fully when on and did not seat fully when off. I adjusted the up stop and down stop position settings and it solved the problem. However the light is now On when down and Off when up. I can't for the life of me understand what I may have done to cause this. Can anyone help?

The drivers side works OK.

I had a weird issue when i replaced the main light switch. It doesn't sound the same as yours but be aware that the connector to the main switch can be fitted the wrong way round and give some peculiar combinations.

Are both pods up at the same time or do you mean when both lights are lit the RHS is up and the LHS is down?

Does the pod go up and down without stoping. If memory serves there is a 2 pole switch in the motor housing thats trigered in the up position to stop the motor. If this is faulty the motor keeps turning and goes back down. I think the other pole trigers on the down position. I believe these are pins on the motor connector as it feeds to the main light switch. If a couple of the terminals on the wiring connector are swaped you may have your problem. Im not the expert on this just trying to point you at a few areas to check.

John

Can you please post a full description of what happens under the following condtions

1) Use headlamp flash - pods should raise and lower after a few seconds. Lights should only be on while you hold flash switch back.

2) Get headlamps in up position then unplug the power feed to the headlamp motor. Do lights go on and off correctly with headlamp switches?

Thanks

H

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. I will look at the suggested resolutions.

Melcogain - When the switch is in the On position the driver side (RHS) is Up and On but the passenger side (LHS) is Down and On.

- When the switch is in the Off position the RHS is Down and Off but the LHS is Up and Off.

It was all working as it was supposed to before I adjusted the Up-stop and Down-stop positions on the LHS.

Does the screw that manually raises the Lights automatically re-set or do you have to get the turnbuckle connector mechanism in the up position connected when the manual turn screw when it is also at its top setting. I was wandering if I reconnected the turnbuckle connector mechanism when the manual turn screw was at its bottom setting.

HowardB - I'll give your suggestions a go and let you know.

John R

Just be careful of any adjustments when the lamps are live as they will take your fingers off if it shuts or opens when you`ve got your hands in there.

Stuart.

John

Problem is nothing to do with the headlamps, but entirely due to the motor control circuit. Look at the circuit diagram I attached to the earlier message and the symptoms you describe suggest that the blue / light green & brown / light green wires have become swapped over. I think they connect to blue /purple & blue/brown wires from the flash relay (assuming its an 80/81 UK model). If you can find them swap them over.

As Stuart says disconnect before attempting any adjustements as once moved it will continue to to the next position without stopping!

H

Hi

The Lights were working OK before I made the adjustments of the turnbuckle (other than not opening and closing fully) so I was assuming the wiring was OK. I disconnected the power before I made the adjustment of the turnbuckle then reconnected the power once I had finished. I then turned the Lights on at the switch and that's when it all went haywire.

2 hours ago, John Ravenscroft said:

Hi

The Lights were working OK before I made the adjustments of the turnbuckle (other than not opening and closing fully) so I was assuming the wiring was OK. I disconnected the power before I made the adjustment of the turnbuckle then reconnected the power once I had finished. I then turned the Lights on at the switch and that's when it all went haywire.

The connectors down there are very prone to water ingress and only need jogging a little and you`ll upset them. Thats where I would start.

Stuart.

If it is only due to the turnbuckle I can only assume that its an earth issue and that now the pod is touching the metal bracket its creating a circuit. Doesn't make any sense to me as there seems to be plenty of other conductive routes. If you have the rubber stops on the bracket this shouldn't happen. Might be worth putting some tape over the stop points to ensure they are insulated and see if that cures it.

Since the pods are moving to different positions it may be that one has the lift arm fitted 180degrees out. Not sure how that affects the headlight but you don't know if someone tried to fix it by changing the wiring.

Hope we are helping. Atleast we are sharing the pain.