TR3a Back from TRGB

TRGB sourced and rebuilt a 1960 TR3a for me some 4 years ago. It was sourced from the USA so work entailed it being converted to left hand drive. The original specification was red with grey interior, overdrive, heater and steel wheels. I kept to the original colours, exterior and interior and decided to make a few modifications. These were; rack and pinion steering, front anti-roll bar, brake servo, alternator, starter motor, electric fan and radiator. Attention was also paid to the engine with, 89mm liners, gas flowed head, TR4a inlet manifold, four branch exhaust manifold and electronic ignition. A year  or so ago I heard about the Jenvey Heritage fuel injection throttle bodies and Emerald ECU. I wondered what this set up might do for my car and after a long discussion with Jason at TRGB decided to go ahead with the conversion. Before work started it was taken to the rolling road at Emerald to check existing power and torque. The result was 115.7bhp engine power at 5465 rpm and 129.6 lb.ft at 3890 rpm. Jason then began his work and after the conversion the car was again put on the rolling road at Emerald. This time we had 137.6 bhp at 5500rpm and 144.71 lb.ft of torque. Power  was still rising at 5500 rpm but discretion came into play! Other changes are instantaneous starting from cold, rock solid tick-over and amazing drivability. Power delivery is absolutely smooth and linear with no hiccups, flat spots etc. After driving car before this modification for a couple of years and getting used to its foibles (no criticism meant) it now feels like a different vehicle. I thoroughy pleased with the experiment and thank Jason and TRGB  for their superb work. Here's a pictures of the engine bay.

Tim

5X5A2114.jpg

The work was done over 5  months. The reason for the time taken was that this was the first installation to be undertaken by TRGB. Jason who did much of the work needed time to think it through, plan, gather together components and then fit and test the set-up. I was in no great hurry to get the work done and was happy with the approach adopted. I'm sure a second installation would be considerably faster. As you say it is a very neat job, I would say that the quality of work undertaken is top notch. 

Tim