Fitting front spoiler

I fitted a spoiler to my '72 GT6 many years ago. Only 1973 cars had this as factory standard, not my earlier car. Guess fitting to a TR would be similar.

There were four captive nuts in moulded bosses in the factory pattern spoiler (suspect it was an aftermarket copy rather than original but factory shape nonetheless). I cut 25mms lengths of stud and screwed them into each captive nut.

With an assistant holding the spoiler to the front valence, I marked up where the 2 studs nearest the centre touched the valence and drilled holes, about 2mm larger than the studs to give room for adjustment. After checking position again, the 2 outer holes were drilled, then all bolted up using large washers behind and job done!

Hope this helps,

Nigel

My '72 GT6 didn't have a spoiler but I thought the very last 1973 cars had them fitted. Certainly late Spitfire MK4s from the same era had spoilers, it's shown in our Honorary President's collector's guide to the Spitfire and GT6.

Nigel

1 hour ago, colin3511 said:

Rich,

There are some strange shaped fittings, as access is limited. I sold one of these spoilers a few months back but I am sure I still have the fittings. I can look them out and let you know if necessary.

Colin

That would be great Colin if you could!  Thanks, Rich

On 9/15/2019 at 1:43 PM, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi all

Received a lovely spoiler from Racetorations but cannot see any bolts or mounts etc for fitting.  Has anyone fitted one of these before and can give me some tips or guidance?

Thanks

Rich

There are 3 Holes in the Spoiler 1 at each Top Corner and 1 in the Middle,offer up the Spoiler and Mark the 3 Holes starting with the Middle one then do either side, Drill Holes out to 6.5mm and use some Short 6mm Bolts to Bolt the Spoiler to Front Valance I also used a couple of Small Self Tappers along the Top Edge.

2 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi Nial

The spoiler from Racetorations is 'hole free'!!!  I think I will have to drill it which I must admit makes my stomach turn a bit...

Rich

The very outside top corners have a Strengthening Brace and the Centre is also Reinforced the Fiberglass is also stronger at those Points I’ve the Restorations one Fitted and that’s how I fitted mine about 8yr ago.

Hi Rich,

I believe the factory spoiler has 5 fixing points. If you fit a new valance you have to drill these out. I just drilled the 3 required and used these strange fittings. It is very awkward in the 2 ends, hence the little spigot.

Colin

spoiler fittings.JPG