Hi guys

I'm toying with the idea of fitting an electric fuel pump.  Nothing too wrong with the old mechanical item, but having weighed up pros and cons I think I would like to try an electric pump. 

I have an old motorbike pump which does 900ml/min flowrate, which I think might be enough. It's low pressure, too, only for helping to shift the bottom bit of the tank into the carbs. Interestingly, it has a Mitsubishi symbol on the end of the pump, even though it came from a Honda.

I want to try fitting it in the engine bay, and was thinking about taking power from the terminals on top of the coil.  It would be relatively easy to set it up and test it, but the thing I am not sure about is the current draw, and the spare capacity of the +ve supply to the coil.

The loom was a TR Shop replacement item, not sure the specs on the wire feeding the coil. I suppose I could always fit a relay to reduce the current draw on the coil feed.

The current draw on the pump I am not too sure of - I measured the resistance which was 2 ohms, which I think gives 6 amps of current and 72w of power.  This seems high, when a Goss GE392 pump will only draw 2 amps according to the data sheet.

Any sage advice out there?

Malcolm (?)

If you have an electric pump, then an impact cut out is advisable.      There is a type that is fitted to many moderns, from MINIs to Maseratis, available used from eBay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-2003-MK6-1-2-PETROL-3-DOOR-ENGINE-FUEL-PUMP-CUT-OFF-SWITCH-BUTTON-OF/174014042206?hash=item28840b905e:g:b4IAAOSwY3BdaA88

There are two types, with two and three leads, the latter lights a diode on the dsh to tell you that the switch has activated.   You don't need to crash, a strong vibration, eg mounting a kerb, can do so, it's useful to know!

Always buy one WITH the connector to the loom, which makes wirinh it in much simpler.

JOhn

Malc

i fitted a huco elec fuel pump  (1)

you need an impact cut out (2) in the elec  feed  to shut off the pump in the event of an accident  about £15 off eBay 

(3) feed (fused) taken from a spare spade connection on the fuse block

works well for me

i left the pipes long so I can easily revert to mechanical or visaversa.

2457A239-993F-4DC1-8127-17E56D3D8F5B.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
John beat me to it
On 9/15/2019 at 10:23 AM, Fireman049 said:

I fitted my 3A with a Morris 1000 low pressure SU electric pump and re-routed the fuel supply line to the rear of the engine bay.

Tom.

IMG_1209 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1207 - Copy.JPG

But did you fit a collision cut out though Tom?

Stuart.

2 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

Hi Stuart ~

I do have an inertia cut off switch which I haven't fitted yet. I plan to fit it under the dashpanel so that I can knock it off when parking.

Tom.

Good idea as long as you remember when you come back to start! :lol:

Stuart.

Hi

Just fitted a Huco Fuel Pump (Hueco - German company now owned by Hitachi). 

HUCO 133010 low pressure suction pump fitted in engine bay
Malpassi 85mm Filter
HUCO 132020 Fuel pump relay
Inertia swith (Ebay but with connector & flying leads)

Power feed from ignition switched battery supply, through fuse (7.5A, pump requires 5A max), through inertia switch to power contacts on relay (#30 & #87), to fuel pump 

Relay control. Feed from Coil +ve (which is supplied from ignition switch) to #15. Contact #31 to ground (chassis)

The fifth connection  #1 takes a signal from the Coil -ve and enables the relay as long as the engine is rotating and the coil is generating a pulse via the distributor.

The fuel pump stops in any of

Ignition is turned off
Engine stops turning
Inertia switch is triggered

System works very well but the fuel inlet and outlet connections to the pump are a PITA

Phil

12 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

What are the benefits of an electric pump over the factory fitted mechanical item?

Rgds Ian 

None other than there isnt the slight lag in starting due to evaporation if you leave the car for a few days with a mechanical pump. However that allows time for the oil to get round.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

None other than there isnt the slight lag in starting due to evaporation if you leave the car for a few days with a mechanical pump. However that allows time for the oil to get round.

Stuart.

Agreed. 

I only left mine on as it was fitted last in my attempt to source a poor fuelling issue. 

I may put my mechanical pump back on but leave the elec one in place as a back up. Also ensuring I’ll never need it !!!

Thanks for all the input guys.  I might try the motorcycle pump just out of curiosity, doing some tests along the way (mainly on the outlet pressure).

Couple more questions - I see that the HUCO 133010 pump that others have used does around 2 litres per minute... is this what people think is required?  What would the max consumption be in a sidescreen TR?  The motorcycle pump I have is supposed to do 1 litre per minute, only.

In terms of reasons for fitting an electric pump... the main benefit I thought would be eliminating any chance of petrol from the pump leaking it's way into the sump / oil.  I had heard this was a risk... not sure how often it actually happened, though.  I also feel like using an electric pump will allow me a bit more flexibility to tidy up the fuel piping around the engine bay... and the existing pump connections don't fill me with confidence as far as their leak tightness is concerned.