Gearbox troubles

I recently had a TR4 overdrive and gearbox dropped into my 3A. All was well for a while but then, normally after a couple of weeks none use I would go to the car and it refused to allow me into 3rd and 4th. 1st 2nd and reverse were fine but no two or three, it felt as if they didn't exist at all. A few many minutes for wiggling the gearchange it would eventually move/loosen up if a little stiffly at first but them would be fine for the rest of the day as it was being driven, Anybody got any ideas of a potential reason but this behaviour or is she just being awkward?

Sounds like an interlock issue. try removing the remote extension, & then try to select the gears (on the extension using the gear lever.) if it all works OK, then the problem is in the gear box, possibly the 3rd / 4th synchro hub has got a forign body in it & is jamming it .

Bob.

All of Item 16 below:   

Its the bit that the 3rd / 4th selector fork locks into. it pushes the outer part of the hub forward over the bulk rink (15) onto 8 for 4th gear, or rearwards over 15 (again) then onto 23 for 3rd.

Be very careful if you try to move this part with the cover off, it is easy to push the outer too far, & then you loose 3 springs & ball bearings into the bottom of the box !

tr24_14_05_02.thumb.jpg.effa5d873624744c0e37cab53a2e2e6e.jpg

Edited by Lebro
On 9/15/2019 at 8:37 AM, Lebro said:

Sounds like an interlock issue. try removing the remote extension, & then try to select the gears (on the extension using the gear lever.) if it all works OK, then the problem is in the gear box, possibly the 3rd / 4th synchro hub has got a forign body in it & is jamming it .

Bob.

I'm into an interlock issue with mine right now. Here's a more specific interlock test that a friend suggested, which mine failed. With the extension on the bench, select a gear position with the lever,  second would be a good choice in your case. Then try manually moving the forks on the 3 -4 shaft with the fork. If you can move the 3 - 4 shaft with the selector still in second, the interlock is not working. The test works with all gear combinations.

Tom.

On 9/15/2019 at 6:44 AM, ssplant said:

I recently had a TR4 overdrive and gearbox dropped into my 3A. All was well for a while but then, normally after a couple of weeks none use I would go to the car and it refused to allow me into 3rd and 4th. 1st 2nd and reverse were fine but no two or three, it felt as if they didn't exist at all. A few many minutes for wiggling the gearchange it would eventually move/loosen up if a little stiffly at first but them would be fine for the rest of the day as it was being driven, Anybody got any ideas of a potential reason but this behaviour or is she just being awkward?

Are you using the correct oil? Using diff oil in the gearbox causes similar symptoms. Once warmed up the oil is thin enough to let it work, when cold and thick it won't.

Most interesting John this does seem to hold true, the longer the car sits or the colder the weather the more likely to lose 3/4 gear I am. I have also noticed that the symptoms are worse if the last manoeuvre I made was in reverse? Maybe I should get the oil hot and drain the gearbox, filling it with the correct oil whatever that might be.

Thanks Simon