Halfords Trade Card

I took a folder full of receipts into the shop, brought something at the trade-counter and asked very politely if I could have one and showed the folder to demonstrate I brought a fair amount of car related stuff.

the manager said yes, and that was it. I understand that some branch’s are a bit more precious about dishing them out though.

i figured asking couldn’t do any harm.

...... Andy 

Edited by AndyR100

If you go to their store, they want "proof of trade" so a letterhead with your 'company' on it might do, easy enough to make up on your wordprocessor.

Or, you can be more honest and apply on line at https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MyAccountTradeCardApplicationView?catalogId=10151&cm_re=tradecarddesk-_-button+2-_-register&langId=-1&storeId=10001&krypto=4QyIUG0U9LelH%2FypI9hn%2B%2FaaSiLQX7qbQufP5wgyLGFU1j%2BAJqfrCV2cOIEV%2BRFQa4Sx%2FH30AgSZdIGaqXQ0H6YP9ASneCP%2F02B2sObAJMg%3D

all they want is your name and address, and for you to "describe your trade" from a  drop down menu.   "Mechanic" does it!

Not everything at Halfords qualifies, only motor trade items, not bikes, radios etc, but still worthwhile as Nigel and others say.

John

• 4 years later...

Just done a forum search on how to gain a Halfords trade card and found this old post.  The current requirements for a Halfords trade card as listed at this web page are:

When applying for a Trade Card, you'll need to bring one of the following proofs of trade:

1. Payslip from employer
  2. Copy of City & Guilds or NVQ qualification
  3. College enrolment certificate
  4. Business card or letterhead
  5. Local newspaper ad
  6. Local phone directory entry

Paul

I got mine by just buying the 200 piece socket set which was on offer at the time a couple of years ago. 

www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-200-pc-socket-and-ratchet-spanner

I have noticed that not everything is cheaper with it. If the item is on sale is is usually cheaper to buy it at that price as the trade discount is only applied on the full price of the item.

Edited by stu50uk
13 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Business card?   Easy: https://www.banana-print.co.uk/business-cards/ or any local print shop.

Would that not be classed as :

"Obtaining goods by false pretences"  ?

(Theft Act 1968, section 15.Punishable by imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.)

Charlie.

You're the lawyer, Charlie (?)!  See also, Fraud Act 2006     A person dishonestly using false credit card details or other false personal information to obtain the service would be committing an offence under this clause.  (My underline)

But surely it depends what the card says?    If it says "Managing Director, Independent Trading Co.  New York Paris Peckham. " then it would be, maybe not a lie, but decidedly  a bit Mickey Mouse.   If it says, as mine do, "Silverback Racing.  Measurement for Motorsport" with my name and number then that is all absolutely true.  On  my life, Rodney!

John

I only know about the Theft Act 1968, ( section 15 ) because I had a friend who used to brag about buying cheap 1 day returns on a cross Chanel ferry and only using it for the outward journey because it was cheaper that a single. He claimed he was not doing anything dishonest.

I discovered that such a practice was classed as fraud by the ferry companies and some people had been threatened with prosecution under said act and also banned from using the ferry service again.

I had at one time thought of becoming lawyer, but could not pronounce the Latin words that are required in order to pass the exams, so I became an apprentice telephone engineer instead.

21 hours ago, Charlie D said:

I only know about the Theft Act 1968, ( section 15 ) because I had a friend who used to brag about buying cheap 1 day returns on a cross Chanel ferry and only using it for the outward journey because it was cheaper that a single. He claimed he was not doing anything dishonest.

I discovered that such a practice was classed as fraud by the ferry companies and some people had been threatened with prosecution under said act and also banned from using the ferry service again.

I had at one time thought of becoming lawyer, but could not pronounce the Latin words that are required in order to pass the exams, so I became an apprentice telephone engineer instead.

The ferry companies may have made all sorts of threats but I doubt any court in the UK would deem it an offence to buy a day return ticket and not use the return leg. Likewise what ferry company is going to like the publicity of trying to give evidence in this sort of case. I doubt there is a a law against not using your ticket! Yes they might clamp down and refuse to sell tickets to those who regularly do so but having flexible plans isn't fraud. There again it was always bonkers that a day return was cheaper than a single!

There are a lot of businesses that get set up but never get beyond business cards to drum up trade. In the end Halfords etc want your sales. They perhaps don't wish to give discounts to everyone but when it comes down to it they will likely take a smaller profit rather than cheese off a potential customer and make no profit. I would think Halfords probably know that most traders don't go there for most of their supplies anyway and accept this as a way of getting a larger share of the hobby mechanics tool sales etc than they might have.

Back in 2017 (I think) I bought a return ticket (Euston-NEC-Euston) to go to the November car show.

The return leg stopped at Watford where I had to change onto a local 'all-stopper'

When I got to Harrow & Wealdstone I got off as I could take the more convenient bus home - rather than numerous stops to Euston thenunderground and overground and then finally a bus.  My ticket would not allow me through the barrier (I had paid for Euston and Euston it would be)

However it didn't know IO had a London 'Freedom' card - one swipe and I was through - home in 15 minutes.

There was also the BR madness where it cost   £XXX to go to a stop where a busy school was located.  The next stop  was only £x

BR demanded that the children stayed on board until the next stop then buy a ticket one stop back  -  good reviews in the natoinal papers.

Roger

Similar to you, Roger, when the $^^%*&()(**)* Tories broke up British Rail, I was travelling to London but planned to stay the night before  in the suburbs with family, so bought my return ticket to Watford.     The next day, after my meeting, I went to Euston, bought a one way ticket to Watford - but was turned back at the gate as my ticket "wasn't valid for that train".   Next train, over a hour later, which gave me plenty of time to go back to the ticket office and let them  sort out the mess.

John

In 1975-7 I worked for British Airways Agent Refunds refunding unused segments of airline tickets back to Travel Agents, if there was a refund due. Back then it was well know that travellers from Cyprus would, when in the U.K., buy Open return tickets to Cyprus but use the tickets in reverse ie fly back to Cyprus on the ticket they had just purchased and only use the second leg Cyprus- UK the next time they wanted to come to the U.K., never again needing to  purchased any flight tickets in Cyprus, this was because the cost to buy in the U.K. was much cheaper.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, PaulAnderson said:

Just checked in the members area and it seems that the 8% discount at Halfords for members expired in December 2023 so is no longer available.

Hi Paul

I have already emailed the office about this but so far no response. It is their first day back after Xmas holidays so I haven't chased it. I have used the Register discount at Halfords many times and saved more than my membership fee. Hopefully the Register can get the discount up and running again soon.

Keith

On 1/8/2024 at 3:51 PM, keith1948 said:

Hi Paul

I have already emailed the office about this but so far no response. It is their first day back after Xmas holidays so I haven't chased it. I have used the Register discount at Halfords many times and saved more than my membership fee. Hopefully the Register can get the discount up and running again soon.

Keith

Today I got info from the office about a new benefits package called your rewards. I was not aware of this (maybe I missed it). You can find it by logging into the main site using your login details which are different to the forum login. Then under 'news and events', 'club news' scroll down to the article on huge platform of discounts. You can then find the benefits of membership page and how to log in. I was then able to download the latest Halfords discount voucher for 8% valid until November 2024. There are many more offers available. The old discount voucher page still shows the old Halfords voucher that expired at the end of December. You need to access the new one as I have explained above.

Alternatively you can find it under 'resources', 'members benefits' below the 'discount vouchers'

Keith

Edited by keith1948
  • 2 months later...

As we have a Ltd. company and I've just gone through the registration for a Trade Card however the website did not generate a card number. Do I presume that I'll need to take a copy of our Companies House registration, business card to a local store to get validate?

Any help appreciated!

1 hour ago, Steve-B said:

As we have a Ltd. company and I've just gone through the registration for a Trade Card however the website did not generate a card number. Do I presume that I'll need to take a copy of our Companies House registration, business card to a local store to get validate?

Any help appreciated!

I just took one of my business cards in store and they did it there and then and got a trade card in the post a few days later.

Stuart.