Mobile Auto Electrician - Northampton

Sorry, can't help with recommending a local auto electrician, although I'm not far away in Market Harborough. Does it have to be an expert coming out to you, or can you get your car to the electrician?

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the reply, I have nearly sorted it out myself now. I am fitting a wiring/relay kit for a Bosch fuel pump, I have connected the brown/white wire to the ammeter (a real pain). I am now trying to figure out where I connect the white wire that runs from the relay to the fuse box, any idea's ?

Thanks.

Mark.

Mark,

Take a look at this for relay pin arrangement:

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

Use the white wire (original 12v feed to fuel pump) to trigger the relay on pin 85. Connect pin 86 to earth.

I took a new power feed from the battery via a line fuse and connected to pin 87. Use a thick cable rated at last 20 amps continuous for this, and fuse at 20 amp. Pin 30 should be connected to the live side of the Bosch pump. Run the cable carefully back through the car to the relay so it can't get punched or chafed.

All the above assumes you have a standard relay with standard pin numbering. Whenever doing electrical work like this, I disconnect the battery. When the job is done, always looks for any sparking as the battery is reconnected, which would indicate a short circuit. Test that the relay clicks when switching on the ignition before connecting the new power supply for the fuel pump.

Hope the above makes sense! If in doubt, please ask. Don't take any chances with wiring if you're not sure.

Nigel

Hi Nigel, 

Thanks, yes makes sense.

I managed to sort it out yesterday.

Power feed from rear of ammeter to relay.

New wire from relay (in engine bay) to pump.

New wire from inertia switch to relay.

New earth wire from relay to wiper motor fixing.

Everything works as it should.

Appreciate your help.

Mark.