Pros & Cons of recorded MOT on DVLA GOV website if car exempt

I've decided to put my 5 in for MOT on Monday, prior to having the body resprayed, just wondered what the views are on having it recorded as a proper MOT on the DVLA Gov website. Obviously if it's  failure then I would get the work done to pass.

Have any of you gone for the recorded MOT or just popped it in the garage for a look over?

Your thoughts most welcome.

TIA Mike

Full recorded MOT for me too. 

safety reasons and future sales as it aids mileage and condition check and  whether advisories are fixed.

Should I ever have to sell. :(

Edited by Hamish
Sp

Full recorded MoT for me as well. Useful if it should ever be needed in an insurance claim. And if at some point in future I sell one of my classics, the MoT history could reassure prospective buyers, adding to the value.

Nigel

Always a full MOT on my 1962 (exempt) TR4.

I value the independent examination which, although I've never had a FAIL in 26 years, has produced three advisories and a couple of helpful suggestions.

Of course, I actioned the advisories immediately (and was jolly glad in the case of a front wheel bearing which, rather suddenly, was beginning to get very bad) and I followed up the suggestions.

You cannot beat an experienced independent examination, especially when the fellow is underneath whilst steering is being wiggled about and brakes applied fully - faults can be spotted which would be difficult for me to notice.  A few years ago, my helpful MOT man even spotted a loose bolt on the underside of the alternator - it wouldn't have fallen out, but best to have it tight.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, ianc said:

Always a full MOT on my 1962 (exempt) TR4.

I value the independent examination which, although I've never had a FAIL in 26 years, has produced three advisories and a couple of helpful suggestions.

Of course, I actioned the advisories immediately (and was jolly glad in the case of a front wheel bearing which, rather suddenly, was beginning to get very bad) and I followed up the suggestions.

You cannot beat an experienced independent examination, especially when the fellow is underneath whilst steering is being wiggled about and brakes applied fully - faults can be spotted which would be difficult for me to notice.  A few years ago, my helpful MOT man even spotted a loose bolt on the underside of the alternator - it wouldn't have fallen out, but best to have it tight.

Ian Cornish

Totally agree.

Nigel

Cons: well, it costs £54.85 - a charge that hasn't changed since 2010, which is extraordinary and somewhat unfair on the testing station.

But what's that for peace of mind?

No contest in my book - get it independently tested.

Ian Cornish

£54.85 strewth, I think you need to sell up and move west young man where £30 -£35 is par for the test. But yes worth having at any price.

The only objection is that is was compulsory and now it isn't so yippee that's better, or perhaps not.  A couple or three serious accidents with non-MOT'd cars and watch public opinion change.

Alan

The places which charge less than the Government's specified charge do so because they expect that a high percentage of vehicles tests will require remedial work, so it's a loss leader.

The place where I have been going since 1995 charges me the full whack, but has never had to do any remedial work for me.  I've no idea whether the MOT charge would be reduced were I to have remedial work undertaken there.  John (the tester) did say that it wasn't great for them that the charge had not increased in 9 years, when everything else had gone up - and I see his point.  Labour hourly rates in garages in this part of the world (Bucks/Herts/Oxon) are not low!

Although I now live some 20 miles further from this particular garage, I continue to go there because I trust them to do the testing properly, and saving a few quid on such an important matter does not concern me.  And, no, I'm not a millionaire!

Ian Cornish

The important thing is that having an MOT inspection does mean a second pair of eyes checking for structural issues with the car.

Whether or not that is recorded is a different matter. That gets you a piece of paper which may or may not be beneficial.

No certificate may cost you less but achieve the same aim if checking the safety of your car is the primary consideration (rather than to maintain the MOT history or to help with a sale)

3 hours ago, ianc said:

The places which charge less than the Government's specified charge do so because they expect that a high percentage of vehicles tests will require remedial work, so it's a loss leader.

Ian, I believe it's not a specified charge, but a maximum. My MOT man charges £35, but doesn't do remedial work. He does a thorough check for that, the same as any other test station I've used. Perhaps his overheads are lower by not needing the equipment to do remedial work.

Pete

Yes a regular independent check by someone who understands classics is a good idea and serves as evidence etc. But I can't see why its worth bothering to have a proper MOT when its not required anymore. As the MOT is linked to vehicle tax I found it a nuisance not being able to tax the car before I had a valid MOT. Now I can treat them separately at my own convenience and not one linked to DVLA the timescale.

Edited by DRD

Afternoon all.

Interesting morning having the car MOT'd. It was meant to be on Monday 16th but I received a call from the garage in the morning asking if I could change it to today for 10.30 which I agreed to.

Went to the garage for 10.30 and they had no knowledge of the booking, it transpired I contacted the wrong garage for the MOT after a google search!  We have two in our village. (I'm at that funny age!) Had to make an embarrassing call to cancel the appt.

That said the garage fitted me in and the car passed with no advisories and the chap said the brakes were excellent, better than some modern cars he tests. The brakes have not been  uprated in any way, all I've done is replace the brake master cylinder, brake cylinders and shoes and pads about 1,000 miles ago and recently had the hubs off for a clean up and re adjustment.

This was the first time I have been with the MOT tester, he let me go in the pit with him and explained what he was doing and how he checked the car, best £40 I've ever spent. Plus I got it recorded on the DVLA register as what the vast majority on here suggested.

So thank you guys for all your help and comments, great forum. ;)

Best wishes,

Mike

Edited by MikeThomas

"I now have confirmation the car is totally roadworthy".

Only for today Mike, …take it out tomorrow after a component has worn just that bit extra and exceeded the wear tolerance and found out , and you'll be prosecuted just as much as somebody who has never bothered with a non mandatory MOT.

The issuing of a MOT only means legal when tested, the continuing checking and evaluation of it's components is behoving of all owners of cars whilst they are in use, maybe you have a mate who could check your car for you weekly and you return the favour on his ? lol.

Mick Richards 

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
  • 4 years later...
On 9/14/2019 at 5:09 PM, richard61 said:

Possibly useful if trying to show insurance companies that you have maintained the car to a reasonable standard?    g

This documentation could serve as compelling evidence when demonstrating to insurance companies that the vehicle has received proper maintenance, potentially leading to more favorable terms and premiums due to responsible care.