Goodwood Revival 2019

22 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Humble?  Why should I be humble? I have nothing to be humble about.     

I write and ask if my Vitesse might race, say it's the only one racing in the UK (AFAIK), offer to provide all and any details they require and may I please be invited?     I fully realise that I can't 'invite myself', this is an invitation race.     Should I have concocted my letter in other, more obseqious terms, signed "Your obedient servant"?     I wasn't arrogant, I was straightforward.     If anything my dismissal was arrogant.    If the race was full, they could have said so.    If they wanted more detail, they could have asked.   If, as I expect, they have many request of this sort, they could say so and suggest I ask again the next year, offer me some hope.    But no, 'No, thank you'.   They were polite!

John

John

Come down to France and race at the Circuit des Remparts next year instead

cheers

Alan

I was in Angoulême a couple of years ago just a few days before the races, Alan, but alas couldn't stay to see more than an empty circuit.  It remains on my list -- what a terrific venue for vintage racing!  They have a nice tour through the countryside, too -- have you done that in your TR?

Hi Don

It was the 80th anniversary of the first races this year so quite a turn out. There were 2 official rallys each with about 200 cars along with a bugatti rally and of course the "Pirates" or the poeple in old cars who follow the rallies. It was the second year for me as a volonteer this year and the first for my son. I was a paddock marshal on Friday Saturday and Sunday and Davyd helped in the paddock saturday and was a Track marshal on Sunday after undergoing the training course earlier this year and passing his exam.

There are 8 races in total , each of about 10 Laps each.  The practice is on the sunday morning and racing in the afternoon

The oldest car on the Track was a 1902 Renault race car in the Edwardian demonstrations and there were 2 Bugatti Races the first for type 13 and other 4 cylinder Bugs and the second with type 35's and 51's close to 40 Bugatti's racing. There was also another race for prewar cars dominated by Austin 7 specials as well as Races for pre 65 and Post 65 saloon and sport cars and a 60's - 70's Formula Renault monoplace cars, a very full programme with about 170cars entered all told over the different grids.

There is a large group of Anglophone racers including a few well known characters who are always very welcome and make the most of the event.

Its always been a very friendly atmosphere at Angouleme and I have been going as a spectator since 2003, mind you it does get quite tense on the pre grid and grid as everyone takes their racing very seriously and Angouleme is quite a challanging trackk for the drivers

cheers

Alan

What a good idea, Alan!  One I have contemplated for long.     But next year, I am invited(!) to enter the Kastner Cup!   

That is  rather bigger project than getting to Angouleme, and I'm presently looking at several options for shipping the car.    But it's far to go, for a long weekend in Ohio, and I'd like to make it an "awfully big adventure" by collecting my car in the port of entry and driving to Ohio.     No problem, the car is road legal and I've driven it to Le Mans, twice.   But the show stopper to date is that I cannot find an insurer who will provide short-term cover for a non-US resident, driving his own car! 

So I'll be grateful if anyone can suggest a broker or insurer who will do this!

John

Edited by john.r.davies
16 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

What a good idea, Alan!  One I have contemplated for long.     But next year, I am invited(!) to enter the Kastner Cup!   

That is  rather bigger project than getting to Angouleme, and I'm presently looking at several options for shipping the car.    But it's far to go, for a long weekend in Ohio, and I'd like to make it an "awfully big adventure" by collecting my car in the port of entry and driving to Ohio.     No problem, the car is road legal and I've driven it to Le Mans, twice.   But the show stopper to date is that I cannot find an insurer who will provide short-term cover for a non-US resident, driving his own car! 

So I'll be grateful if anyone can suggest a broker or insurer who will do this!

John

John,

I'll pm you. We are off to the Kastner Cup next year to..... 

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Here are Josh Files and Tom Boyd looking very happy next to the TR4 after putting it on the pole for its race.

i-t9sT5w6.jpg

Hi everybody, just picked up on this thread. I have to say what a wonderful bunch you are and thank you for the kind words about the car and Josh. We had a complete blast the whole weekend and met so many old TR friends at the same time, I even found some suitable clothes and in my wardrobe. I would really like to thank Tom and Paul from TRE for preparing the car and looking after it so well for the whole weekend, they were great. We have tried to get into this event for years and perseverance really did pay off, happy days. See you all next time. 

Keith & Josh

Well done Keith

yes it is not easy to gain entries. We were told TRs are to working class and unless you get Stirling Moss as a co driver !  no chance

I will be watching Josh for his final rounds in the TCR europe and cheering him on.

It's great to have a TR man at the front of such high profile championships.

No 1 FAN        ROY