Goodwood Revival 2019

Josh Files has just qualified his father Keiths TR4 in pole position for Saturdays Fordwater Trophy race at the Goodwood Revival. A fantastic drive by Josh saw him steadily moving up the timings and setting his pole time on the last lap.

Keiths car is one of the Kas Kastner prepared works TR4's that won their class at the 1963 Sebring 12 hrs. Keiths car finished second in class driven by the American driver team of Charlie Gates, Ed Diehl and Bob Cole. First in class was the British pairing of Peter Bolton and Mike Rothschild.

Keith purchased the car in the USA several years ago and I was lucky enough to race it at Road America in 2007 before its Sebring history was confirmed by Kas Kastner! Keith then had the car shipped back to the UK and TR Enterprises immaculately restored it to its 1963 specification.

Good luck Josh in the race which you can watch live on the Goodwood website at 10.20 Sunday.

Mike Hugfhes

Just watched that on the Live Stream - on all weekend folks.

Fabulous car

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Since mine is, ASFAIK, the only Vitesse racing in the UK, I asked to enter the St.Mary's Trophy, for 60-66 production saloons.

I was told 'No thank you'.      Goodwood can get stuffed.

John

I don't think it was a personal vendetta John, unless you have an illustrious racing pedigree or your marque of car has in the past (TRs have been ignored for many years) there appears to be a Jaguar/Aston Martin/Healey etc etc  usual suspects bias.

Mick Richards

Correction

The race is live on the Goodwood website at 10.20 Saturday not Sunday.

Mike

Edited by MikeHughes

Excellent Trophy race with very close racing between the top two. Josh drove a very mature race watching it from a distance hoping to pick up if a clash occurred but experience of a circuit counts for a lot and maybe a few more HP could help also. Good to watch and the occurrence of a TR4 taking pole after practice surprised the commentators who were watching what they thought were more exotic mixes. Well done TR Enterprise for car preparation a great advert for everybody who drives TRs.

Mick Richards

Jon,

See results on TSL link below.

https://www.tsl-timing.com/event/193765/session/rc1fwt

The front 2 runners had an amazing scrap with literally inches between them at times but all very clean, respectful and controlled. The winning Elan had more grunt on the straights but Nick Swift in the Mini Marcos was all over it into and through the corners. All good stuff.

Dave McD

It was a good event over all. 

Enjoyed the YouTube live stream. 

Some expensive engine and body repairs for some tho 

On 9/13/2019 at 6:25 AM, john.r.davies said:

Since mine is, ASFAIK, the only Vitesse racing in the UK, I asked to enter the St.Mary's Trophy, for 60-66 production saloons.

I was told 'No thank you'.      Goodwood can get stuffed.

John

As a bloody foreigner at Goodwood, although one who's gone for a number of years and is a GRRC member, it seems kind of arrogant, John, to invite yourself to the Revival and get honked off when turned down.  That's just not how Goodwood works, IMO.  And as the Revival is what might be the single best "car" event in the world (IMHO) I can't really argue with the way the Goodwood Competitions Department make their selections.

As Tom says, if you're serious in wanting to compete there, stay with it and take a different, possibly more humble, approach.  

Humble?  Why should I be humble? I have nothing to be humble about.     

I write and ask if my Vitesse might race, say it's the only one racing in the UK (AFAIK), offer to provide all and any details they require and may I please be invited?     I fully realise that I can't 'invite myself', this is an invitation race.     Should I have concocted my letter in other, more obseqious terms, signed "Your obedient servant"?     I wasn't arrogant, I was straightforward.     If anything my dismissal was arrogant.    If the race was full, they could have said so.    If they wanted more detail, they could have asked.   If, as I expect, they have many request of this sort, they could say so and suggest I ask again the next year, offer me some hope.    But no, 'No, thank you'.   They were polite!

John

10 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

Jon,

The front 2 runners had an amazing scrap with literally inches between them at times but all very clean, respectful and controlled. The winning Elan had more grunt on the straights but Nick Swift in the Mini Marcos was all over it into and through the corners. All good stuff.

Dave McD

Aha, mate was 9 in his crazy big banger, 500+bhp, but the size and weight of a tank!

2 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Humble?  Why should I be humble? I have nothing to be humble about.     

I write and ask if my Vitesse might race, say it's the only one racing in the UK (AFAIK), offer to provide all and any details they require and may I please be invited?     I fully realise that I can't 'invite myself', this is an invitation race.     Should I have concocted my letter in other, more obseqious terms, signed "Your obedient servant"?     I wasn't arrogant, I was straightforward.     If anything my dismissal was arrogant.    If the race was full, they could have said so.    If they wanted more detail, they could have asked.   If, as I expect, they have many request of this sort, they could say so and suggest I ask again the next year, offer me some hope.    But no, 'No, thank you'.   They were polite!

John

John,

Problem maybe .......

Cars are meant to have competed in period at Goodwood

Cars are meant to be pre 1967

Cars should have a current HTP

Could be the issue

Plus you really do have to try VERY hard and be VERY persuasive, mentioning 'it would be an honour for our car to compete' etc..... I don't mind 'kissing arse' every now and then :):)

Tom

29 minutes ago, jellison said:

Aha, mate was 9 in his crazy big banger, 500+bhp, but the size and weight of a tank!

That thing was doing silly fast speeds on the straight!!  :)  136mph against our 124mph iirc!!

Was great to watch

3 hours ago, Don H. said:

As a bloody foreigner at Goodwood, although one who's gone for a number of years and is a GRRC member, it seems kind of arrogant, John, to invite yourself to the Revival and get honked off when turned down.  That's just not how Goodwood works, IMO.  And as the Revival is what might be the single best "car" event in the world (IMHO) I can't really argue with the way the Goodwood Competitions Department make their selections.

As Tom says, if you're serious in wanting to compete there, stay with it and take a different, possibly more humble, approach.  

Don,Superb to meet you last weekend!! Sorry if i didn't get much time to talk to you :(  It was truly a pleasure to  chat to you over the weekend :)

Now be kind with the pictures ...........

10 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

Jon,

Dave McD

It was awesome watching them battle!!

Thanks for coming to see us over the weekend mate! :) 

Tom

13 hours ago, Tom Boyd said:

John,

Problem maybe .......

Cars are meant to have competed in period at Goodwood

Cars are meant to be pre 1967

Cars should have a current HTP

Could be the issue

Plus you really do have to try VERY hard and be VERY persuasive, mentioning 'it would be an honour for our car to compete' etc..... I don't mind 'kissing arse' every now and then :):)

Tom

Thank you Tom, for your constructive comments.

But the Regs for the St.Mary's say:

"1) RACE ELIGIBILITY The race is open to the following classification and categorisation of cars, as defined by Articles 2 and 3 of Appendix K: Period E – cars built between 1/1/1947 and 31/12/1961 Period F – cars built between 1/1/1962 and 31/12/1965."

I'll admit, my car was built in 1970, but the model was first made in 1962.   That is the usual criterion for eligability.    Goodwood may insist on the former but did not mention it.   They also require an HTP, which I do not have but would  work towards, if that had been mentioned.    There is no mention in the Regs of 'competing in period at Goodwood'.

John

PS Sorry, thread diversion not intended.  I'll shut up now.

Edited by john.r.davies