1972 Front Grill

Hi All

Quick question, hopefully.

The Grill on my 1972 Pi was a bit rough so I’ve refurbed it but one question. The outer trim which was steel (mine was rust) and that surrounds the inner alloy “chip cutter” bit, was it bright or black for a very early 72 car.

Rimmers list the whole grill assembly as either black or bright (although only bright available). I’ve looked at the TR6Pi brochure I have and it looks black but as that’s a 1970 version I wondered when the changeover was.

I just want to make sure before I polish it or paint it.

Cheers

Keith

Black until the end of the CC and CP series. The " bright" was achieved by Triumph by the addition of chrome trim pieces held on with pop rivets and these are easily removed by drilling out the rivets.

Derek 

Cheers all

Thanks for the confirmation, the pics in the brochure made it look black but given bright versions are available i wasn't sure.

So looks like black it is then.

It was difficult to tell from the rusty remains I took off cough cough years ago, although i don't recall any bright remains.

The top and bottom finishers were also no existant as wel, so new ones of those as well.

Cheers

Keith

Attached is a page from the 1973 USA Brochure for the TR6. Note that they state that the "radiator inlet is newly chrome-trimmed, for a more tailored look"

cheers

Derek

1973 USA Brochure P3.jpg

Edited by saffrontr

Hi Guys

Yep that grill does look very nice so thanks for the detail pic Walt.

It would be interesting to find out the actual comm number changeover or whether export was diff to home market but as it does look much nicer seems the way to go anyway.

Cheers

Keith

Derek

Yep makes sense.

Just got to work out how i can fabricate the steel surround that the brightwork sits on.

Hoped i'd be able to buy some very thin angle and persude it to bend to the right shape, but nothing i can find seems even vaugely the right size and i'd rather not spend the thick end of £200 on a new grill when all i actually need is the steel framer around the grill.

Hmmm, need to think.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Waldi

Yep I saw the trims and they are pretty inexpensive so the plan is to get some. Although interestingly if I’d looked at the Moss website rather than Rimmers I would have realised the difference between the grills they give an explanation.

But as far as I recall there was a steel frame round the alloy egg crate central section, see my pic.

I’m assuming the bright trims clips on to this in some way.

You can see the side bit of this frame on Walts pic as it is crescent shaped to fit around the headlight bowl.

This is the bit that cannot be bought (as far as I know) and was going to make. But as I said I can’t get small angle section steel anywhere.

Cheers

Keith

Grill Centre.jpg

Hi Ed

That’s a great piece and exactly illustrates my problem.

In your 4th pic you show the grille broken down into its constituent parts and I’m missing the middle frame that surrounds the alloy egg crate section and that I think the bright work fixes to.

As I said I’d thought of trying to fabricate something from some L section steel strips, assuming that I could get away with section that is roughly between 4mm and 8mm and 1mm thick, but I can’t find anything that small.

Loath to buy a new one when I’m missing just that bit and could (hopefully) cobble something together.

Cheers  Keith  

Hi All

Well many thanks to Bill944T who found an old grille in his spare parts pile and let me have it for a very reasonable donation to his favourite charity, so well done on that one bill.

Go to know there are still some good people out there in these disconcerting times.

Cheers Keith