Scam - my CP Engine

Hi,

Just a reminder on scams. I put my rebuilt CP engine on Classified and also a post here. Got a fair amount of interest but one person was prepared to pay my initial asking price. Promised to send a cheque and then arrange collection once it had cleared. After about 2 weeks the cheque finally arrived but for twice the amount. Looked a genuine cheque from a business in Manchester. He then emailed to say a client of his owned him this money and would I pay him the difference when it had cleared. He would also arrange to collect the engine.

This transaction always concerned me as he wanted little info on the engine rebuild. Anyway I decided to email him back and say the bank wouldn't accept the cheque as they thought it was a scam. I told the purchaser this and offered to return the cheque if he provided an address. No response for a couple of days but then, after another reminder, he told me to destroy the cheque! Absolutely no mention of the engine.

Reading up on this,  I understand that even though a cheque may clear after 5 days, if found to be counterfeit, the bank can take the amount back out of your account at a later date. This could be several days after the 'cleared' funds. This is where you lose your money, as you have paid the scammer in between times!!

As a foot note, the genuine 63,000 mile 1972 CP rebuilt engine is still for sale.

Be careful.

Colin 

As a point of interest  ( without going into details ) , I had a cheque that had cleared & was debited from my account

after 3 months. When I was investigating this my bank informed me that a cheque can never be assumed to have

cleared if a problem with that cheque is found at some time in the future.

Harvey S. Maitland

Makes cheques kind of pointless then unless you implicitly trust the cheque provider.

But it should be a bank problem once they "clear" the funds.

The clearing should include doing the things that check for the possibilities of fraud and if they miss something its the banks problem, if they can't absolutly be sure of the funds they should not clear the funds.

Or we simply don't accept any checks and that makes them kind of pointless.

Cheers

Keith

1 hour ago, colin3511 said:

After about 2 weeks the cheque finally arrived but for twice the amount. Looked a genuine cheque from a business in Manchester. He then emailed to say a client of his owned him this money and would I pay him the difference when it had cleared. He would also arrange to collect the engine.

Colin

Looks like low level money laundering. Dirty money to you; clean money from you to 'buyer'.

Miles

I have had similar experiences using the TR Register classifieds section, however I reply to the enquiries suggesting that inspection and cash on collection would be appropriate and ask for their contact details. 

More worryingly I had a scam email to my email address informing me "they" had my password, accurately quoted my TR Register password, and were going to shut my system down unless I clicked on their response link............ needless to say it went straight into the bin.
This was my unique password for this forum only, so somehow the TR Register system is being regularly hacked, very concerning!

Ian

Cash is the only safe way of doing this if you are truly concerned.

Bank transfers and paypal / card payments can also be reversed.

As stated above, any request asking you to accept a higher amount and return the difference will be criminal (most likely fraud bit also money laundering).

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

Bank transfers can also be reversed.

Just on this - a few months ago I sold some of my Jaguar bits on Facebook Marketplace and I spoke to my bank about payments directly into my account. I was told that as soon as I saw it in my account it was mine. I asked about the payment being reversed and they told me that the payer would have to have a very good reason to ask for it back. They would just return it. I'm with Nationwide.

Roger

Hi Colin, I too have been plagued by scam emails etc. From the BST.....probably because I didn't tick the members only column.

But of course that also limits the viewing public !

Glad you sorted it.

Conrad.

A cautionary tale.

In 1973 I parked my TR3A outside the Red Lion Pub in Athens. An American man who claimed to be a Pan-Am pilot walked into the pub and said he wanted to buy the car and wrote out a cheque for US$3600. (The car was worth about 300.)

He gave me his address in England (Hounslow, near Heathrow) and asked me to ship the TR as soon as the check cleared.
I went to the American Express bank on the US Airbase (here I worked) the next day and explained the situation. Two weeks later they told me the cheque had cleared and so I took out the cash in full and opened a savings account.
I arranged shipping and drove the car to the docks and watched it being lifted onto the deck of a cargo ship and tied down.

In another two weeks I had a bank statement and discovered the bank had emptied my savings account PLUS they added a 60 cent charge because the cheque had not cleared.
A very “Lively” conversation then took place in the Bank manager’s office where he simply shrugged his shoulders and said, “We made a mistake. But we will refund you the 60 cents…”

Fortunately the shipping company I used was incredibly slow (stopped at every port between Piraeus and Dover I think) and I was able to get a friend with a trailer to intercept the car (Covered in sea salt and rust) at Dover Docks and take it back to his house.

I  threatened to sue the American Express Banking Corporation, and fortunately they paid out US$1000 as compensation quite quickly.

The TR3A in question is the same one that is my garage right now (I’ll not try to sell it again for a very long time!)

Charlie D

2 hours ago, openroad said:

Hi Colin, I too have been plagued by scam emails etc. From the BST.....probably because I didn't tick the members only column.

But of course that also limits the viewing public !

Glad you sorted it.

Conrad.

Conrad & I came across some oddball just last year.

Via the classifieds section I offered to purchase a flywheel & crank from him, phone numbers and calls were exchanged. I suggested paying him via Paypal, he refused and suggested that there are couriers who will pay for the item and upon delivery at my address I pay them (the courier was to be one of his choosing).....yeah right!

I then suggested he provide me his bank details and I simply transfer the funds that way, again he refused without me first giving him my bank account details & photographic ID, yeah right!

Eventually I told him to ram it and I informed the Register, who were already aware of him, oh, and he's a member!

Anyway Colin, I'm glad you never got stung.

Richard.