front brake bleed nipple

Hi folks,

my 4A has small bleed nipples. 7mm AF (9/32AF.

I have just picked up new ones and they are massive in comparison.   Moss P/No, 3H2428.

What I have on the caliper is a 7/16AF hex head under the small bleed nipple. Is this some sort of adapter for the small nipple to fit into.???

The calipers are the later imperial items.

roger

Sounds like someone has been improvising because they couldnt get the right ones. They should be 3/8" UNF.

Stuart.

Hi, 

the calipers have been with the car from the early 80's at least.

The smaller BN's are 'old Moss' number  556508A   as per a Moss paper cat apprx 10 years old - so they were fitted as standard at least up to 10 years ago.

Euro Car Spares also sell them - code 100440090 (£2.49 each)

The latest Moss part is 3h2428 and are way too big.

In the caliper where the BN goes there is a hex headed something or other which allows the smaller BN. The spanner size of this hex head is 1/4 Whit (13.5mm)

So the it would appear that the correct BN up to 10 years or so ago was 556508A but now not stocked by Moss. It is now 3H2428 (but it doesn't fit).

Roger

If you take the adaptor out you should find that there is a 3/8" UNF thread there as that is standard for the caliper provided its a period one, there is the other option that it may have been replaced back in the day with the equivalent caliper from the likes of a late Rover 2000 which would have a metric thread in it for the inlet pipe and the bleed nipple.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

that is interesting.  I didn;t want to remove the 1/4W hex headed thing just in case it let all the essence out.  I have fitted new small BN's  (556508A Moss) supplied by Euro Car parts.

The bigger BN's would make life a little easier.

Anyway it is all back together. Guess what !!  the brake pedal would not appear to bleed well as it still felt a little sponge. So I employed your trick of holding down the pedal overnight.

And it worked.  There is a small amount of free movement taking up the slack etc in the pedal/MC and then it is solid.

I wish I had measured the caliper piston bore seals before fitting - they must be a fraction bigger than the originals.  Is the NOS anywhere.

Roger

After the initial felling of success it all turned to poo.

I took the car out for a run and the brakes were worse than useless. The pedal went way too far to the floor.

So I took the new caliper bore seals out and refitted the old ones and normal service has been resumed.

What to do.

Roger

18 minutes ago, RogerH said:

After the initial felling of success it all turned to poo.

I took the car out for a run and the brakes were worse than useless. The pedal went way too far to the floor.

So I took the new caliper bore seals out and refitted the old ones and normal service has been resumed.

What to do.

Roger

Look for NOS seals if you can get the correct SP number, they are around

Stuart.

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

that second number - SP2589 - is the one quoted by TRW  and they appear not to fit.

However, another manufacturers version may well work properly.

Roger

Look for an original Girling kit, yellow/blue box

Stuart.

15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

UK company that may be able to help

https://www.nelsonstokes.com/

Peter W

Not far from me in Camelford, they will make you all sorts of brake parts.

Stuart.