New TR6 hood for my TR4A?

Hi,

I have to fit a new hood on my TR4A, the old one is a TR6 hood on a TR6 hood frame.

The Velcro strips on the TR6 frame / hood I never liked, the window frame is prepared for both locks.

So any recommendations are welcome:

- again buy and fit a TR6 hood on the TR6 frame

- or buy a TR4A frame (a friend offered me) and a new TR4A hood

Which works better and is more sealed (apart from what is original)

Thank in advance.

Ciao, Marco

A good well made and fitted hood of both styles will work very well, your choice, I have a hood and a frame from a 4a if your over this way again ;)

Stuart.

I have this on my 4A, take a TR6 frame, drill-out two rivets holding the front frame rail ...extract old front framerail from 4A hoodframe, bolt 4A framerail onto 6 hoodframe and fit a TR6 hood with velcro, zip-out rear window etc etc.  Marginally quieter and drier than the orig 4A one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a Don hood on my 4A for over 10 years now and it is fine. Only problem  is it's made of double duck and you can't fold it up wet without risking shrinkage resulting in a struggle the next time you try and stretch it to the clips. If I ever replace it I would get a vinyl one as with a quick wipe over these can be stored anytime.

The double duck and mohair ones may look better but who sees them when it's raining.

Chris

Shinkage is a problem. I have a 4A hood from c 2003 in really good condition - but I struggle to get all the poppers on without massive stretching. Same with a 1970's TR6 hood cover that was donated to me - stretching to fit pulls all the stitching out.

Regarding hoods. I have to say from experience that the hood assemblies fitted to the Austin Healey '100' and MGA's were far superior

to the TR hood assemblies. The Austin Healey and MGA hoods were permanently attached to the hood frames and all you had to do was swing the hood frame up

and attach the hoods to the bodywork. This was easily done even with gale force winds unlike the TR where you swing the hood frame up

and try to attach the hood to it before it flies off!! 

Tom. 

Hi,

my hood is probably from 1992 and it suffered from shrinking above the windows already in 2008 when I bought the car.

For some years I looked jealous on the finish above the windows on TR4 hoods and asked Don Hood about to make a hood which is a combination of 6 and 4.

He told me about the wrong TR6 frame on my TR4A and how the correct TR4A will look like above the doors:

like TR4!

That makes me very pleased.

And I like the design of the TR4A with closed hood ( and zip window).

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
On 9/27/2019 at 10:08 PM, ChrisR-4A said:

I have had a Don hood on my 4A for over 10 years now and it is fine. Only problem  is it's made of double duck and you can't fold it up wet without risking shrinkage resulting in a struggle the next time you try and stretch it to the clips. If I ever replace it I would get a vinyl one as with a quick wipe over these can be stored anytime.

The double duck and mohair ones may look better but who sees them when it's raining.

Chris

+1 for Don Hoods.  (used them 30 years ago on my Spitfire and last month on my 6.)

Good quality - just fitted it in vinyl - the old mohair one having shrunk.

It's easy to get sucked into the "mohair ones are better quality" because they are more expensive. But do they do the job better?

17 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

It's easy to get sucked into the "mohair ones are better quality" because they are more expensive.

And you only see it when the top is up, which (in my case) is only when it rains. Then it is not exactly the time you would spend to admire the appearance of a soft top :D

• 4 weeks later...